Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

frets for '86 Jackson San Dimas bolt-on neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frets for '86 Jackson San Dimas bolt-on neck?

One of my '86 Jackson strats has frets that are becoming quite low after various fret re-crownings/levelings over the years, making me think it's time to just get the thing refretted. I've not had to do this before so I'm not sure how to proceed. What kind of fretwire should I be getting to restore this thing close to "original" specs? Or should I be getting something fancy like stainless steel? Would be interested in hearing opinions and experiences.

It's an oil-finished maple fretboard neck if that makes any difference.

I believe Jackson used standard nickle fret wire.
    Either 6105 (similar in height to a jumbo, but not as wide) or 6150 (standard size jumbo fret wire).

If you buy from StewMac, they call 6150 (Wide/Medium). Same specs.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 09-21-2016, 04:16 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

Stainless steel is nice and smooth, will probably never wear down. Go with whatever you like.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

go play some stainless frets and you'll never look back.

Comment

Stainless are awesome.

If you've never done this before pay the $$ and get a good tech to do it. Since stainless frets last virtually forever, it will be a great investment.

Comment

Thanks, sounds like stainless would be badass ... will check if my guitar tech can do it.

Comment

As for fret size, that's up to your preference. Medium Jumbo is the most common, but Jumbos are nice. I've got one neck with Jumbos (JTX) and they're a bit of a different feel, for sure. I think they ground them down to be the same height as Medium Jumbo, but they're noticeably wider when viewed against a Medium Jumbo board.

Or you can go for the tall skinny frets. Either way, the SS will last much longer, though custom sizing them to either wide/low or tall/skinny may cost extra because of how much work that takes.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X