No announcement yet.

Need help identifying a soloist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a USA Dinky. Dinky = bolt-on neck. Soloist = neck-through.
    Found this thread here from 8 years ago. They had black hardware. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/797...center-edition
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ahh man... I think you are totally correct. Super bummed now. Been wanting a soloist a long time. Luckily I can return it.

Comment

Give it a try first. USA Jackson Dinkys are awesome guitars, usually have great thin-profiled oiled necks.

Comment

Same body size/shape, just different neck construction. At least you can return it if you don't like it.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wouldn't get hung up on the bolt vs neck through. USA Dinky is a high quality high ticket guitar. In no way would you be worse off getting one vs a soloist in terms of quality or value. Give it a shot before sending it back.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Give it a try first. USA Jackson Dinkys are awesome guitars, usually have great thin-profiled oiled necks.
              Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Same body size/shape, just different neck construction. At least you can return it if you don't like it.
              Originally posted by Vass View Post
              I wouldn't get hung up on the bolt vs neck through. USA Dinky is a high quality high ticket guitar. In no way would you be worse off getting one vs a soloist in terms of quality or value. Give it a shot before sending it back.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

i have one of the guitar center 25th anniversary guitars in red eerie dess...it's a usa dinky and the guitar is absolutely fantastic...so yeah try it before you decide against it...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I would take it in a heartbeat. I love that guitar.

Comment

I wouldn't get hung up on the bolt vs neck through.
                    Yeah, if you bought the guitar thinking it was a Soloist and ended up being a Dinky, you'd have no problem with it? I'm pretty sure anyone buying one and getting the other would be pretty upset. Especially if he paid a premium.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Bolt-ons suck, no sustain. Send it back

Seriously, here is a thought. How many PRO players use soloist, and how many use bolt-ons? Lynch? EVH? Tipton? Kirk played an RR1 for a while. But the vast majority of players use bolt-ons.

Myself, I like my neck thrus maybe a little better than my bolt-ons. I don't get hung up on finished necks, my hands stay dry.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        Yeah, if you bought the guitar thinking it was a Soloist and ended up being a Dinky, you'd have no problem with it? I'm pretty sure anyone buying one and getting the other would be pretty upset. Especially if he paid a premium.
                        Gee, it's tough to tell!. When he found out it was a bolt on he asked "what is the implication there?" Call me nutty- I got the sense he was asking "what's the implication there?". So I answered him! Did I do wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Lynch? EVH? Tipton? Kirk played an RR1 for a while. But the vast majority of players use bolt-ons.
                          And you didn't mention Vai --- he prefers the bolt ons because it makes it easier to repair/replace when he throws them around and breaks them.

Hey, I prefer a bolt on with an unfinished neck. But I don't have a problem with a neck thru. No matter which I play, if it isn't built right, it just isn't built right. So it really is a non-issue.
                          But, I gotta say, if I bought a Soloist and got a Dinky (or vice versa), I would not be happy. You might as well say "I bought a Fender and got a Gibson". Both are nice, but very different.

Although, depending on the price I paid, I may not return it. I just wouldn't be ecstatic to see what I didn't buy.
                          A poor review on a sellers page would be warranted to let others know to be careful because the seller misinforms in his ads.

And then I would go rock out.

Comment

Originally posted by 10kohm View Post
                            Won't have it in my hands until next week (shipping) but I was told that there is no serial number, just a plate commemorating guitar centers 30th anniversary and that it wad 91 of 100. I can look at it closer when I receive it.
                            Early in the thread the OP made the comment above- he knew the guitar had a plate before he bought it. Unless he is very unfamiliar with what a plate is on a guitar, he knew it was a bolt on. So it seems as though the terminology of "Soloist" didn't mean neck through to him.

Comment

Early in the thread the OP made the comment above- he knew the guitar had a plate before he bought it. Unless he is very unfamiliar with what a plate is on a guitar, he knew it was a bolt on. So it seems as though the terminology of "Soloist" didn't mean neck through to him.
                              No, I bought the guitar sight unseen based on a description so I did know I was taking a chance. That being said, the seller later confirmed the plate after purchase. It was clear that they did think they had an SL1 and had labeled it as such. I will give it a whirl in a couple days when it shows up and let you know what I think. Honestly, I wanted a guitar with an original Floyd so the bridge will be a bigger factor to me than the neck construction. I did know that Soloists were neck thru so that was my first clue something wasn't right.

Comment

Received the guitar yesterday. This thing sounds great in my opinion. Bridge is an all gold Floyd Rose Original so pretty stoked on that. One thing that kinda sucks is that it is missing the tremolo cavity cover. Anyone know where to get one? Also, anyone have an idea of the ballpark value of this axe? Fretboard is ebony and inlays are MOP.

Comment

Working...
                                X