No announcement yet.

NGD - 1987 Jackson Dinky in blue crackle, signed by Grover on back of headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

she did indeed work for Jackson. Fender let her go when they shut down their USA production in the early 80s, and Grover hired her. she wound pickups for the USA Jackson guitars. and Grover bought some of the original Fender winding machines. So there are plenty of pickups out there that are Ybarra wound pickups, but since she didn't sign them, we don't know for sure....

Comment

Fender was acquired in a management buyout from CBS in 1985 in a deal that didn't include the factory in Fullerton. So I guess at that point Abby Ybarra was free to move on. The story goes that John Page was at Jackson in the early nineties looking to buy some of the old Fender winding machines for the Custom Shop and found Abby as well. I found a website suggesting Jackson branded pickups were first outsourced to Gotoh in 1989, which would suggest that any before that were made in the USA plant.
      Of course a lot of this information is second, third, fourth, i-read-it-on-the-internet-so-it-must-be-true hand.

Comment

Originally posted by roccotanto View Post
        yes - and many people don't know that all those pickups were hand wound by the legendary Abby Ybarra, on the vintage Fender pickup winding machines that made the 50s and 60s strat pickups. those 80s Jackson pickups were wound by the woman who now makes the $1200 a set Fender Custom Shop pickups!!!
        She retired in 2013. They have a new gal that trained under her, Josephina Campos, but their new lord of pickups is the guy that did the pickups for Guthrie Govan, Michael Frank-Braun.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

So which one of you are selling? Just saw this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACKSON-USA-...MAAOSwXeJXdC~m
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Looking at it, it's neither of them. Neck doesn't match lepards, and trem doesn't match Rocco's
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Looking at it, it's neither of them. Neck doesn't match lepards, and trem doesn't match Rocco's
              Good eye. Seems crazy that three of them would 'show' up all of the sudden.
              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I had a red (more orange actually) firecrackle with Grover's signature and the number 249 on the back of the headstock that I bought new at Sam Ash in White Plains in 1988. Looking for info on that guitar was what led me to JCF Online.

I sold the guitar years ago when I desperately needed the cash, but it had a GREAT neck, and was my benchmark for playability when I bought other guitars.
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Nice score Rocco. Is that your JCM800?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    that is correct - and neither of us would be insane enough to ask $2k for one of those

I just let mine go to a forum bro for well under $1k. it's a great guitar, but me and rosewood boards just never get along, no matter how many times i try....

Comment

Originally posted by AIC70 View Post
                      Nice score Rocco. Is that your JCM800?
                      i wish! i certainly APPROVE of that amp, but was using another band's backline - Lucky Boys Confusion

Comment

Working...
                      X