1988 custom SL1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 custom SL1?

This guitar is currently listed on ebay in Australia. Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322067301...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My thoughts are:
    It has a JT6 and a non recessed cavity. Those are good things.

But I can't make out the serial.
    Nor is there a single picture of the pointy headstock. Every picture has the tip cut off.

Rosewood fingerboard on an 88 Soloist? Sure, they exist, but why.
    The logo looks funky to me, like it was put on in the wrong place.
    And I am not even a fan of the top-only graphic.

But for 615 Australian dollars, I would buy it.

Comment

Not an SL1... the model didn't exist in 1988, and pretty much everything prior to 1990 is considered custom.

Serial looks like J ?705. Zoomed in best I could, but can't read the first number.
      If it really is an 1988 guitar, it would be J 4705.

Guitar looks legit to me.
      The logo is correct for the period. Not the first time I've see a poorly fitted decal.
      Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-11-2016, 09:09 AM.
      -Rick

Comment

Looks legit.

Comment

Looks legit to me - it would be a strange thing to fake and get right for the era (JT6, oversize humbucker, 3 knobs), the rev head is cool to have and rosewood is unusual but not unheard of.

I quickly wondered about it being a refin'd Model 6 with a faked serial stamp, but the rev head rules that out. The graphic makes me wonder if it's a refin though, just because it looks a little ragged (no background colour between their legs for example), but it matches the head and the logo looks good so..
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

it does look legit. But that is a horrid graphic. Bad airbrush & I wonder if the graphic is actually an overlay
            Hail yesterday

Comment

If that's original it's the worst original graphic I've ever seen. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                If that's original it's the worst original graphic I've ever seen. Wow.
                Yah, somebody paid extra for THAT?

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                  Yah, somebody paid extra for THAT?
                  I'm totally baffled as to what it is supposed to be. A skeleton dirty dancing with a man in a gimp suit??

Comment

It looks legit. It's not the worst graphic from that era...but pretty close! You could ask the seller to provide a pic or provide any info that might be under the springs in the the trem cavity. It may provide a name of this wondrous graphic.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I was thinking, due to the misplaced logo and top-only graphic, that maybe it was refinished.

But hell, for $600..
                      I would be all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        I'm totally baffled as to what it is supposed to be. A skeleton dirty dancing with a man in a gimp suit??
                        It's one of those "smoke a bowl and get philosophical" type of graphics.
                        So, it may represent some sort of 'dancing with death' scenario.

Comment

Yeah not massively pretty. ended up selling for $1225 AUD, which would be just under $1000 US. cant help but think if it was just black we would have been looking at 2+. Anyway I ended up buying a 1986 model 6 and an 1986 model 3 for a combined total of $860. bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 1A View Post
                            Yeah not massively pretty. ended up selling for $1225 AUD, which would be just under $1000 US. cant help but think if it was just black we would have been looking at 2+. Anyway I ended up buying a 1986 model 6 and an 1986 model 3 for a combined total of $860. bargain.
                            sounds like you made out alright
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                            X