Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the dealios on the Jackson 30th Anniversary Soloist Models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the dealios on the Jackson 30th Anniversary Soloist Models?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWo_kRVoyvM

If you look at the video about a minute in you'll see the control plate is the Ontario style plate but this guitar is supposed to be based on Soloists from 1984. And as far as I know, these control plates didn't make an intro until 1987.

So its great that the guitars are old school and everything with all the cool details such as the old type neck joint, three piece maple necks, poplar wings, logo, non recessed etc, but its quite a let down that they skimmed on the control plate detail.

Thoughts?

I hadn't seen the back before but that's just bloody stupid. Combine with the 3 pot setup and it gets to the point where it's just halfway 'inspired' by the originals rather than being any kind of reissue or replica.

Then again, why reissue a guitar for 4k when you can buy the originals for under $1500?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Still wondering if the 3rd knob might be a mid boost circuit, or something similar. And, if so, maybe the circuit requires the larger route?

In any event, not feeling the love for this run. Seems too much like a hybrid of old and new. Nothing wrong with that per se, if done well. Just doesn't seem to fit well with the "anniversary" model theme being touted here.

Otherwise pretty cool, though. Love the yellow and pink!

Comment

What details do you think would have made it truly a tribute anniversary model?

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
          What details do you think would have made it truly a tribute anniversary model?
          The smaller, period correct control cavity.

The correct control layout. (2 Knobs (Vol-Tone), 3 on/off mini-toggles)

Reissued Jackson pickups.

I'm still really digging this run though, the guitars are hot.

Comment

I'd go with non-logo'd Duncans, as Jackson PUs weren't around in 84.

Otherwise, yeah, what he said.

Comment

We're a finicky bunch, ain't we? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                But that's the way it is, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  Depends on the comparison - when you have Fender / Gibson guys wanting the correct cloth covered wire and a certain type of capacitor on the tone pot, I'd say Jackson fans are pretty casual. But when you're 'reissuing' a guitar, surely at least the visuals should be correct. An extra pot, incorrect cavity just smack of either ignorance or lack of attention.

Comment

Well, if we're gonna go there, it better have the through-the-neck Floyd nut mounting screws too. LOL

Comment

Yup, guess so. If it's a replica / reissue, there's no point short-cutting things in the name of progress LOL I'm expecting very inconsistent finishing too, just to keep true to that SD Vibe!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        I'm expecting very inconsistent finishing too, just to keep true to that SD Vibe!
                        Yeah I would send it back if it didn't have a period-correct crooked neck.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post

Then again, why reissue a guitar for 4k when you can buy the originals for under $1500?
                          So we don't have to suffer the Kahlers.
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

You can find plenty of h/s/s Soloist Customs with Floyds. I have 3 and didn't have to pay 4k for any of them

Comment

Working...
                            X