Custom Select Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Select Opinions

I'm gonna be ordering a Custom Select SL1 with basic specs. I just need a few opinions on the following.

So direct mount or chrome Pick up ring?
    SS or Nickel frets?
    Chrome or Black Hardware?
    Sharkies or Dots?
    The color is gonna be Blue Ice Metallic.
    Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 10.22.56 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-02-14 at 11.08.31 AM.jpg

Basicly copying this Blue Ice Rhoads on a SL1
    http://assets.fender.com/frl/9fc348b...e3b6e1b5c3.png

- Go for direct mount: you can always add a chrome ring later if you want, but you can't take the ring off without leaving holes (obviously).
    - I stick with regular frets: I've never worn frets out so SS seems unnecessary to me.
    - black is more standard and easier to sell if you decide to swap to chrome.
    - Sharkfins
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I can't say I'm a fan of direct mount pups now that this "drilled out pup leg" issue has come to light. I like to buy/swap/sell pups too much for that BS.

Comment

With that color, I'd go with chrome hardware. But, then again, I usually prefer chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          - Go for direct mount: you can always add a chrome ring later if you want, but you can't take the ring off without leaving holes (obviously).
          - I stick with regular frets: I've never worn frets out so SS seems unnecessary to me.
          - black is more standard and easier to sell if you decide to swap to chrome.
          - Sharkfins
          I agree on the SS, seems the USA Jacksons have good quality nickel frets and i'm never gonna sell this (I'm saying that now :P).

Comment

I usually prefer black hardware but chrome seems to compliment the colour. Gives it an icy cool look.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Chrome, dude. Had it maybe been an SL2H then I'd say pickup rings but since the SL1 will only have one pickup ring I think direct mount is key.

Comment

I usually prefer black hardware, but I think chrome looks awesome with the ice blue metallic.

Sharkies.

I'd also say direct mount.

As for frets, I personally prefer the smoother feel of SS, and they do tend to be slightly brighter sounding.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Fuck me, now I don't know if I want SL1 or SL2H I already have 2x SL2Hs (Floyd/Tune O Matic), but the 5 way switch looks so cheap compare to the 3 way toggle. What about the 1H and 1SC? would there be a volume drop?

Comment

H-S rules.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWisdom View Post
                      I agree on the SS, seems the USA Jacksons have good quality nickel frets and i'm never gonna sell this (I'm saying that now :P).
                      I know they cost more, but I'd go for steel frets...not for the wear issue, but I think it'd be less maintenance for needing to polish tarnished frets seen on nickel frets. This might not be an issue depending on where you live though.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Unless you are one of those people who are 100% anti-pickup ring, go with the pickup ring. In my opinion, normal Soloist (or Jacksons for that matter) look weird without pickup rings, or basically incomplete.

Go with Stainless frets, you'll thank me later.

Also, if you go with black hardware, you're going to get a black plastic pickup ring, but chrome gets a chrome metal pickup ring.

Comment

Cool color!

-Chrome pickup ring
                          -SS frets
                          -Chrome hardware
                          -Sharkies

I'd probably nix the zebra pickup. Solid black is hard to beat. But I'd play around with some other pickup colors on the custom shop generator to see what looks best.

Comment

Would it be crazy to do a 3 way toggle on an SL1?

Comment

If you never plan on using the 2 & 4 positions, then go for it. I'd probably add a "pull for bridge" push-pull pot, so you could go to the neck setting and add the bridge. I like the sound of a bridge humbucker and neck single coil together.

Edit: now that I think about it, it would be cooler to add a "pull for neck" push-pull. That way you could stay on the bridge and add the neck. PLUS, you could go to the middle setting and add the neck. So you could get that SRV 4th position sound.
                              Last edited by Chad; 02-14-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X