Ivoroid vs White neck & headstock binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivoroid vs White neck & headstock binding

I love the look of binding on Jacksons, however, once I owed a USA soloist I realized that the neck & headstock binding is not white but "ivoroid" and has this yellowish off-white look (similar to ivory... duh...)

I'm not really a fan of the ivoroid on a "metal" guitar because it looks more like a classic rock or country guitar accoutrement. I think it looks great on a classic Les Paul, but for some reason, it looks "wrong" on a nice Jackson and frankly reminds me of white plastic that has aged due to sunlight exposure. So, for a future custom select order, I'm thinking of white binding instead of ivoroid for the neck and headstock. What I need to know is this: does the white binding really look white, and not this yellow off-white?

It is indeed really white.

Here's an example of white binding:

Compared to ivory:

Last edited by Electric; 02-11-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I'm just the opposite, I think plain white looks cheap. However, in the right context it's alright.

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
        I'm just the opposite, I think plain white looks cheap. However, in the right context it's alright.
        I agree. It can look like someone carved up a cool whip container and bound a guitar. Then again, those usually are cheap guitars.

Comment

So, on an ebony fretboard, it should have this appearance?

Last edited by claxor; 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Rather have a nice yellowed binding myself. White is Ok I have it on my import soloist but I hope it ages into a nice creamy yellow.
            To say yellowed binding has no place on a "metal guitar"is crazy whats a metal guitar have to look like?
            Saying a guitar isn't "metal" looking enough sounds sensible to a 15 year old I guess.
            We all know "metal" started on Les Pauls and Fender strats back in the day so you have no argument.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Those look OK but I would play jazz on them

Comment

Cat,

I'm not trying to pick a fight, c'mon...

Comment

LOL I'm just yanking your chain its all good.

Comment

Okay, here is a more "adult and mature" approach to my point of view:

What I love about the binding on an ebony fretboard (especially on a black guitar) is the contrast between the two shades. Dark to light shades. If the binding looks "older" in appearance than the fretboard and the rest of the guitar, then it seems off. If the whole guitar looked "relic'd" then the yellowing binding seems to make sense.

Comment

I prefer the ivoroid. My Taylor acoustic has white binding. It looks plastic. Ivoroid looks like a natural material. It's not just the color. There are striations, inclusions, and variations in the opacity in it that make it look similar to real ivory.

Nothing is more metal looking than "Animals died to make this guitar!" IMO.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have a purple quilted ESP LTD MH401qm with white binding. It looks like shit. I'll take the yellowish binding any day over white.

Comment

Like anything else...
                          Make the entire color scheme work.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                            To say yellowed binding has no place on a "metal guitar"is crazy whats a metal guitar have to look like?
                            like the collection of cheese beasts in the post directly above yours
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              My Taylor acoustic has white binding. It looks plastic. Ivoroid looks like a natural material. It's not just the color. There are striations, inclusions, and variations in the opacity in it that make it look similar to real ivory.

Nothing is more metal looking than "Animals died to make this guitar!" IMO.
                              To me, both ivoroid and the white look like plastic. The ivoroid looks more old. Like this:

Comment

Working...
                              X