X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neilli View Post
    +1.

Also, the other problem is that unless they are significantly cheaper than an individual CS order, many folks (me included) would rather have something unique with no compromises than have part of a run.
    Yep.

Lloyd @ Guitarxpress would commit to a 10 piece run if he could get I think it was 3 or 4 people to commit. He was willing to take that leap of faith... in the end he went splat.

He did really well until the 3rd batch of SL2GX... That was a total of 20 in Chlorine, 20 in green and 20 in root beer. By the time the Root Beer had arrived, the forum was already saturated with string-thru soloists and he sat on nearly 20 SL2's for a year... it kinda killed the whole GX limited runs. When he was doing runs of 10, he was quite successful. He got over-ambitious and in the end I think he had too much into stock that wasn't selling.
    Last edited by xenophobe; 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I remember those runs. I'm doing 8-10 CS guitars for stock, based on my own sensibilities and instincts. I figured getting some input from JCF would be at least entertaining and educational. The swamp ash "run" is actually something I was going to do with another manufacturer (and still might) but thought I would give it try with a DK1 run, too. I'm only in it for 5 guitars and am not looking for anybody to pony up in advance. They will be in stock if any forumites are interested, but if not they will sell in the store, online, eBay, wherever. I have 2 guitars left from the CS order I placed in May. (They could have been sold but eBay takes too much off the top to accept the offers I've received. Strange how some people will only buy through eBay, even though we have a verifiable 15-year old track record as a brick and mortar store. An offer I can't accept on eBay might be acceptable over the phone or email, but some folks can't be swayed away from the eBay system, it seems.) Anyway, the guitars I'm ordering, and the way I'm pricing them, seem to find a way to make some CS customers happy enough with the specs, as well as the money they save versus going full MB. And I have stuff in-stock, which appeals to folks that don't want to wait or prefer to pick from available guitars they can play first (or return).

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. And keep it coming. I'll be putting in orders for these and a few other one-offs this week. At this point I'm thinking I might go with matching headstocks if JCS thinks the color will be close enough to match the body. 5 swamp ash DK1s, each a different color, all other specs will be the same. Leaning towards black binding and sharks, non-reverse (possibly I'll mix the directions).

Maybe next time I'll do mahogany bodies spec'd like the Charvel Model 88 if I can get a 22 fret DK out of the Custom Select program!
      Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
      www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by killerburst View Post
        Maybe next time I'll do mahogany bodies spec'd like the Charvel Model 88 if I can get a 22 fret DK out of the Custom Select program!
        That'd be awesome - I've long thought about ordering a CS to those specs, but other things have always jumped in ahead and caught my imagination.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I've got the paint shop going over my color choices to see which ones will work with matching headstocks (ash body vs maple headstock color differences). My choices are trans amber, trans purple, trans blue, emerald green trans, chlorine, carmel, bunt cherry burst, amber lager burst. Not all will be ordered, but those are the ones I'm looking into.
          [email protected]

Comment

Orders are in. First one should be here in May. Colors are chlorine, solar, trans purple, trans green.
            [email protected]

Comment

image.jpg
              [email protected]

Comment

nice! Look forward to seeing them
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Sweet.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, and completely outside the scope of this thread...will the CS do a full on strat (major differences being pickups and a Jackson fretboard radius)?

Kind of an Adrian Smith model, but not quite.
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Masterbuilt, yes. Custom Select, no.
                      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X