This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll on CS run ideas

I'm putting together a bunch of Custom Select builds for stock and one the ideas I'm tossing around is a DK1 in lightweight swamp ash (I'm going to build a few so I can go off menu) in translucent colors, unbound maple neck/fb, direct mount H/S, recessed Floyd. I'm not quite sure what I want to do with the headstock.

Informal poll:

#1 Normal pointy, natural finish, black logo
    #2 Normal pointy, black finish, white logo
    #3 Reverse pointy, natural finish, black logo
    #2 Reverse pointy, black finish, white logo

And then inlay:

Black dots
    Black sharks
    White sharks
    Naked board (side dots only)

Edited to add non-recessed or recessed Floyd Rose.

Would appreciate getting opinions on this from you guys.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Last edited by killerburst; 01-29-2014, 08:20 PM.
    Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
    www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
    [email protected]

Normal pointy, natural finish, black logo with black sharkies looks so nice on a maple neck/board, just my opinion Oh yeah... black binding too!!!

Edited: Non-recessed Floyd
    Last edited by walshula; 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM.
    I like black and white guitars

Comment

As above but reverse hs.

Comment

Reverse, natural, black logo with no fret markers.

Comment

Option 2, with black dots.

I think a natural headstock with a maple board will look kind of washed out with some translucent colours. And I don't like the delrin sharkies so much without binding, so old school dots would look best to my mind
          Hail yesterday

Comment

any interest in doing this with a soloist run as well?

Comment

You might want to poll for a non-recessed trem instead, those are quite popular around here.

Comment

Anything is possible. I just have had this idea kind of bouncing around in my brain for a while. Certainly if I had a few people step up with a deposit I would gladly make it happen. I have a few small run ideas I'm tossing around, all very different. Once I finalize the specs and put the orders in I will post them here.

Originally posted by claxor View Post
                any interest in doing this with a soloist run as well?
                [email protected]

Comment

Normal strat head , black logo. , no inlays except one black shark at the 12 th fret , black neck binding .

Comment

Good advice, thanks. First post edited.
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by hunter1970 View Post
                      Normal strat head , black logo. , no inlays except one black shark at the 12 th fret , black neck binding .
                      Strat head with a Jackson logo has to go through FMIC Marketing dep't. for approval. If there's enough demand I will push for it. I imagine if I ordered enough pieces they would be inclined to approve. Won't know for sure until I go there, though.
                      [email protected]

Comment

Already have a CS strathead in the oven...

I'd go for a black soloist, 1h or h/s, rev headstock, ebony no inlays..... I'm fine with recessed trem. Would prefer abalone logo.

BTW, you'll never get more than a couple of people to agree on anything. Getting an actual limited run agreed upon is like an act of nature. It can happen, but it usually doesn't.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Love swamp ash bodies - great tone! The difficulty, though, is how "Fender-y" they can sometimes look with a trans finish. And then combining that with the Jackson pointyhead can look a little disjointed.

If you can't get the natural strathead thing done, I suggest doing a pointyhead with an ash veneer and trans-color matching to the body with white logo. Or you could add a flame or quilt-top w/matching headstocks, but that'd be more money.

Comment

Here's the thing, these will actually be MB, but if I do enough and only change the body wood they will price out as Custom Select. I could possibly get the Strathead thing done, but I will have to work them. An ash headstock veneer would get me too far off menu and they would be priced as MB. For trans finishes I was thinking purple, blue, red, amber, green, teal, etc. Not exactly Fendery color schemes. I could do figured tops and head caps, but yes that would increase the price. Decisions, decisions...

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            Love swamp ash bodies - great tone! The difficulty, though, is how "Fender-y" they can sometimes look with a trans finish. And then combining that with the Jackson pointyhead can look a little disjointed.

If you can't get the natural strathead thing done, I suggest doing a pointyhead with an ash veneer and trans-color matching to the body with white logo. Or you could add a flame or quilt-top w/matching headstocks, but that'd be more money.
                            [email protected]

Comment

You could always do solid colors, instead. Then matching pointyheads.

Comment

Working...
                              X