Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom select finsish question.

Hi,

Do I have to choose between urethane or polyester on the order form if going with the chlorine finish? which is a transparent finish.

Thx

I had the same question on a custom shop build so I asked Matt @ Matt's music and this is what he told me. "Most Jackson's have a urethane finish on them, I don't know that there's any difference between urethane and Poly from a tonal standpoint. They're both pretty much the same." This is what he said I hope it helps.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Here is my "little" knowledge on the different paints. I believe there is Polyurethane and Polyester. Most of the Jackson guitars have a polyurethane clear coat. The polyurethane is a little more "flexible" than the Polyester. The Polyester is hard, but more brittle. A polyurethane finish if bumped on a table corner will dent, whereas a polyester finish may crack. I remember that Jackson will use one over the other depending on the base coats. I don't remember if it was something to do with the finish aging over time - to prevent white from turning yellow like on older nitrocellulose finishes (Gibson).

If you want to get a better answer and a highly regarded suggestion, contact Mike Learn. He is a member here, paints Jackson's guitars on occasion and is one of the most highly respected painters in the Guitar and motorcycle painting business.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
        Here is my "little" knowledge on the different paints. I believe there is Polyurethane and Polyester. Most of the Jackson guitars have a polyurethane clear coat. The polyurethane is a little more "flexible" than the Polyester. The Polyester is hard, but more brittle. A polyurethane finish if bumped on a table corner will dent, whereas a polyester finish may crack. I remember that Jackson will use one over the other depending on the base coats. I don't remember if it was something to do with the finish aging over time - to prevent white from turning yellow like on older nitrocellulose finishes (Gibson).

If you want to get a better answer and a highly regarded suggestion, contact Mike Learn. He is a member here, paints Jackson's guitars on occasion and is one of the most highly respected painters in the Guitar and motorcycle painting business.
        +1 Mike is amazing! I've never had anything I own done by him but I see his work here all the time and it's the best in the business in my opinion.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Thanks for your answers. I sent a mail to Jackson support and this is the answer I got ;

"You do have the option of either type of finish. A lot of people prefer the polyester because it is a thinner finish that is a bit more resistant to chip out should the guitar ever take any kind of hit. However polyurethane is thicker and very hard material and usually looks like new for years if taken care of properly."

I searched online (after posting here) and found a few custom select specs with polyester finish, so I choose the same. No order yet, waiting for dealer to give me a price.

Comment

Older BCRichs were polyester type, personally i prefer it to the thicker urethanes. but long term it does settle into the wood, doesn't check, stays flexible, it dents not chips but isnt as glassy as urethanes.

Comment

Working...
            X