No announcement yet.

Refinish on an old Rhoads?? What to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinish on an old Rhoads?? What to do.

I have an old student Rhoads from '83 SN 4XX. It's in really poor shape paint wise as it's chipping pretty badly and flakes off with a hard look these days. Being as it's a student model it's also got the rosewood fretboard and dots, which I have always hated. I don't plan on ever selling the guitar unless somebody were to trade at early Rhoads custom. Is it going to ruin the guitar if I have it refinished in any way? Is there any value to these low SN guitars that I would be walking on hallowed ground if I had it painted and a new fredboard put on with binding etc?

If so... Who should I send this thing off to to get it done well at a reasonable price? Thanks.

First of all you should give Mike Learn a call for quote, that's your best bet.

Regarding the refinish / value of the guitar...I don't think a beaten old Student RR should hold any more value than a restored one, in any case it should be the other way around. IMO the low SN value is lost with the condition of the guitar.

If you don't plan on selling the guitar you should definetly restore it the way you like it...again, it might end up being worth more than it does right now, although you probably won't be recovering the repairs investment.

Just MO.

Comment

rosewood + dots + candy apple red = 80s hotness
      Hail yesterday

Comment

if done right, and tasteful, you could bring that bad boy back to life. G's advice is best. candy apple red, rosewood, dots....there were MANY killer 80's shredders in that combo. if you don't dig candy apple red, cool. it's just a suggestion
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

oh, mike learn's refins are the SHIT!!!! he took this hamer diablo of mine from a spray painted disaster to a MEGA bad-ass shred machine....

it is hard to tell, but the body is black with purple lilac pearl mixed in with blue phantom flames. it is SOOOOO bad ass!!! here it is in action:

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

+1 Mike does great work and very reasonably priced as well. Send him an e-mail and ask for a quote, he's very professional and a nice guy to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
              oh, mike learn's refins are the SHIT!!!! he took this hamer diablo of mine from a spray painted disaster to a MEGA bad-ass shred machine....

it is hard to tell, but the body is black with purple lilac pearl mixed in with blue phantom flames. it is SOOOOO bad ass!!! here it is in action:

Sweet Mother, that's one of the best paint jobs I've ever seen! Was that
              your idea for the phantom flame or did Mike come up with it?

Comment

Replacing the fretboard=Meh
                Rosewood + dots + Candy Apple Red = YES

Comment

Originally posted by Donovan View Post
                  I have an old student Rhoads from '83 SN 4XX. It's in really poor shape paint wise as it's chipping pretty badly and flakes off with a hard look these days. Being as it's a student model it's also got the rosewood fretboard and dots, which I have always hated. I don't plan on ever selling the guitar unless somebody were to trade at early Rhoads custom. Is it going to ruin the guitar if I have it refinished in any way? Is there any value to these low SN guitars that I would be walking on hallowed ground if I had it painted and a new fredboard put on with binding etc?

If so... Who should I send this thing off to to get it done well at a reasonable price? Thanks.
                  As for refinishing it affecting the value, yes it would. If you get it done in the same color, it won't affect it much. After that it comes down to how popular the color our chose is and if graphics are involved, value becomes varied because graphics are so subjective.

I wouldn't even consider replacing the fretboard because A)There's not functionally wrong with B)It's major surgery and it won't be cheap C)It will affect the value and Student models are rare.

If you're going to get it done, send it to Mike Learn. Not only does he do amazing work (which I have first hand experience with) he's also paints lots and lots of guitars for Jackson. If Jackson trusts him with factory guitars then rest assured you're in good hands.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                    Sweet Mother, that's one of the best paint jobs I've ever seen! Was that
                    your idea for the phantom flame or did Mike come up with it?
                    in my conversations with mike, i mentioned i wanted "ghost flames" but i gave him artistic license. the guitar was pretty much a blank slate for him to paint whatever he wanted. the lilac pearl was his idea. those flames were his idea. shoot, i even think having the flames blue was his idea. i think all i said was, "i think i want ghost flames. i had an SL2H with black ghost flames that i regret getting rid of." mike did the rest. in all truthfulness, it was not what i was expecting at first - and i was kinda bummed out. but i showed the progress pic to my mom to get her opinion, and she said:

"that is kick-ass. it is unique and you will like it when you get it."

then she reminded me that i wasn't real clear on what i wanted. then she said it looked WAY cooler than the jackson flames. it took a couple of days before i was really into it. and she was right, by the time i got it i was THRILLED!!!!
                    GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                      As for refinishing it affecting the value, yes it would. If you get it done in the same color, it won't affect it much. After that it comes down to how popular the color our chose is and if graphics are involved, value becomes varied because graphics are so subjective.

I wouldn't even consider replacing the fretboard because A)There's not functionally wrong with B)It's major surgery and it won't be cheap C)It will affect the value and Student models are rare.

+ 1....except San Dimas era Student models are no more rare than a San Dimas era Custom model!!

That said....I wouldn't refin an original San Dimas model Jackson!!

Comment

i say refin only if its like destroyed ,or partially sanded already ? , if its just chips , dings ,imo , sell it , i myself love old san dimas jacksons to have chips,dings,paint cracks , to me that = its orig paint . that said some want mint guitars , thats cool too , only harder imho to dig up , 1983 was a long time ago , id'e love to see this baby , see ya , alz / 2013 --p.s. thanks to jcf staff for letting me back !

Comment

I would consider a refin in the original color if you HAVE to refin it.
                          If the guitar is a low number AND in the books you will increase the value to some.
                          I like original paint with honest player wear.YMMV.
                          If the fret board is fine leave it.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

As others have said, if the fretboard is fine then leave it alone. If you are going to refinish it contact Mike Learn! I have a San Dimas Rhoads Custom that I bought already stripped to bare wood. So it had to be refinished no matter what. I sent it to Mike Learn with the requirements being that it had to have skulls, flames, and purple in it it turned out awesome! I also have another San Dimas Rhoads Custom which has paint chips and scratches including one large area. I plan to leave its original paint alone!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X