Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My very own CS (help wanted)

Hi all!

After the 'CS body top options' thread I thought it would be easier to make one thread where I can ask all my questions about the Custom Shop. I will be ordering a soloist via Matt, and I'm pretty sure that it will have a spalted maple top with a trans black finnish.

My next question: I own a '94 Pro, and it has a 11" to 16" nut width, with a thickness from 18mm (1st fret) to 20mm (12th fret). I want that on my CS, but I see it's not an option on the Custom Shop form! Only 12" to 16", which is the regular size for a USA Soloist. I'm pretty sure they can do it, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna cost me a lot of extra bucks. What do you guys think?
    www.bodyfarmdeathmetal.com
    www.facebook.com/bodyfarmdeathmetal
    www.metalblade.com/bodyfarm

I believe you're confusing nut width with fretboard radius. A 1 11/16" wide nut is standard as is a 12"-16" compound radius fingerboard. You '94 Pro would have both of those.

Comment

Ah jeez, yes I'm mixing things up. Nightshift is killing me ;-)

So what would be the difference with the USA Soloists? Because I sure feel a difference

Comment

The neck thickness you reference. .700/.780 is the same as my XL Soloist Pro (very thin neck). For some reason this thickness was only offered on MIJ Pro models.

I have 2 CS 's in the works now with this thickness (should be done any day) and it was not easy getting Jackson to do these. Mike Shannon routed the underside of the fret board to fit the truss rod. New guitars use a double acting rod where older guitars had single acting and took less room.

I assume since they just did it for me they will be less reluctant to do it again.

Comment

Ah, what coincidence :-) How do they specify this thickness? Because I can't find an explanation anywhere of how they refere to it.

Should be 'nack back shape' on the CS form I suppose?
          Last edited by Tho; 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tho View Post
            Ah, what coincidence :-) How do they specify this thickness? Because I can't find an explanation anywhere of how they refere to it.

Should be 'nack back shape' on the CS form I suppose?
            Simple, tell them you want the neck to be .700" at the 3rd and .780" at the 12th. Mine are also a R5 nut which is a wide neck. I did this because I wanted a bit more of string spacing near the 1st fret for playing chords.

When mine are done, I'll post photos and photos of the spec sheets. It should be within a few weeks....

Comment

BTW, mine are 3 piece necks and you'd be wise to order the same (for a stronger neck)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
                Simple, tell them you want the neck to be .700" at the 3rd and .780" at the 12th. Mine are also a R5 nut which is a wide neck. I did this because I wanted a bit more of string spacing near the 1st fret for playing chords.

When mine are done, I'll post photos and photos of the spec sheets. It should be within a few weeks....
                Thanks! And those measurements would be the same as my '94 japanese pro?

I was about to go for a 3-piece neck indeed. Thanks for the tips man, looking forward to see your customs!

Comment

18mm = .708"

20mm = .787"

Yes, the same

Comment

Thanks! I'm kind of a noob when it comes to these technical specs. I really appreciate you guys helping me out.

Comment

Ok, so this plan is on hold for a while. To much horror stories about the CS the last few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Tho View Post
                        Ok, so this plan is on hold for a while. To much horror stories about the CS the last few days.
                        Keep in mind by the time you made it to the top of the queue, these problems will have long passed. There have been periods before when some crappy builds have come out of the Custom Shop, followed by many spectacular ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X