Ever heard of this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever heard of this??

I took the back cavity plate off of my guitar a few weeks ago to get at the screws. I left the plate off for about 3 weeks. Today when I went to put the plate back on, it didn't fit. It was acting like it was a little too big for where it mounts on the back of the guitar.

Did the wood or paint shrink on the guitar or something? Has this ever happened to anyone else? I am clueless here.

I had that happen to me a couple of years ago on an SD Soloist, so figure it was 25 years old. Having said that, the plate had to be (gently) levered out, but it still drove me crazy, until eventually the plate just popped back in...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It's backwards, maybe?

Did it fall off once you removed the screws, or did you have to pry it off? I've had some that needed to be pried off. Could've left the screws out and the plate wouldn't budge.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        It's backwards, maybe?

Did it fall off once you removed the screws, or did you have to pry it off? I've had some that needed to be pried off. Could've left the screws out and the plate wouldn't budge.
        Not backwards, definitely putting it back on the exact way it came off. The wood must have shrunk a bit. It has recently gotten pretty warm here so that must have something to do with it.

Comment

Could be. Can't say I've ever experienced it myself, but then I usually lose them as soon as they come off
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Never had that happen.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yep, it's happened to me, too. Try leaving a bag of ice on the plate for a half hour or so to make it cold. Chances are the cold will make it shrink enough that it will then fit back in.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                Yep, it's happened to me, too. Try leaving a bag of ice on the plate for a half hour or so to make it cold. Chances are the cold will make it shrink enough that it will then fit back in.
                Ahh, the old "cold water in the pool makes me shrink" trick

Comment

If the 'cold' technique works, why use a bag of ice? Why not just put the plate in the freezer for a little bit?

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                    If the 'cold' technique works, why use a bag of ice? Why not just put the plate in the freezer for a little bit?
                    I'm with you. Much easier to execute.

Comment

Why not file the sides of the plate down a bit so it will fit? Won't it be more difficult next time the plate needs to come off?

Comment

Working...
                      X