This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
    Leaving the trim pots on the board maxed out will shorten the life span of the caps and the sustainer driver transformer. Plus the thing will feedback like a mother at the slightest touch.
    Wow, I never heard of that. Where are the trim pots located and how do I make sure the settings are ok? I'm totally flying blind here...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.sinn View Post
      Wow, I never heard of that. Where are the trim pots located and how do I make sure the settings are ok? I'm totally flying blind here...
      You shouldn't really ever need to adjust them if your sustainer is working properly.

They are located on the back side of the sustainer controller board. You have to remove it to see them.
      They can be adjusted while the board is still installed as there are two holes in the back of the board that allow access to adjust the gain and feedback pots.
      I prefer to make adjustments with the board out so I can make reference marks with a fine tip Sharpi for the original location before any tuning.

I've had several boards sent to me that were deemed dead or defective only to find out the original owner or some "tech" had "tweaked" the pots and fucked up the sustainer settings.
      Re-tuning the board is pretty simple, you just need fresh batteries, a small plastic (never metal) Phillips head screw driver and a few minutes of your time.
      Center both trim pots and flip between harmonic and fundamental modes while adjusting the pots until it sounds "normal" to you.
      One thing I have found is if you leave it hot with the gain maxed out, you eat batteries like crazy and the sustainer will fail pretty quickly.
      I have one board on my bench now that has a dead transformer for the sustainer driver. Easy to replace, but finding the part is a bitch.
      -Rick

Comment

Every time I think I know as much as you can about the pc1, you come along and teach me something new. You're awesome man.. Thanks so much for your time and valuable advice.

Comment

You're welcome.
          I'm an electronics nerd. I tear apart everything I own (amps, guitars, cell phones, TV's, you name it) to understand how it works.
          Being able to read schematics and understand the components involved really helps to.
          I'm always happy to pass along what I learn.

The PC1 sustainer is not really all that complicated. Most of the board level components can be readily bought and easily replaced if you have good soldering skills and equipment.
          The power transformer for the driver is a hard one to find. Wiring it up also varies slightly from Rev B and Rev C versions of the board.
          -Rick

Comment

if you have the time, I'd like to speak with you about a few things concerning the pc1. My number 1-561-791-9406. If you don't want to call me, PM your number and a time and I'll get with you that way. Whatever is comfortable. Thanks again..

Comment

Tried calling but only got VM
              I PM'd you my number.
              -Rick

Comment

sorry if it's posted already - I couldn't find it - anyone have a URL for the PC1 sustainer "user manual" ?
                I think it's a single sheet of paper in real life - it shows "how to operate".

It's for a friend: PDF preferred, or web page -

thanks!

Comment

Here you go...

JacksonSustainer.jpg
                  -Rick

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hey guys!
                      i just bought a 1997 PC1 at a good (if I can fix this) price and have one big problem. The guitar works great in regular mode, but it squeals like crazy in harmonic mode on any pickup unless I turn the intensity knob or the adjustment pots way down. Then there is NO harmonic response and greatly reduced normal sustaining. If I leave it turned back up the regular sustainer works ok.
                      i called Jackson/Fender, but they aren’t a ton of help. Is this broken? I have been soldering for 30 years, so if it is a specific controller I could replace it.

Comment

Hi would anyone be able to help me find out where I can purchase a replacment PCB for my jackson PC1? I have been told Jackson do not sell replacement parts for the PC1 !!!

Thanks Paulm6090

Comment

Originally posted by Paulm6090 View Post
                          Hi would anyone be able to help me find out where I can purchase a replacment PCB for my jackson PC1? I have been told Jackson do not sell replacement parts for the PC1 !!!

Thanks Paulm6090
                          See my comment in your other thread.
                          Jackson won't sell replacement parts for these.
                          But make sure it's actually dead before you do anything else.
                          -Rick

Comment

Hello All,

Need some info. I need to adjust the truss rod on My 2011 Jackson PC1. I need someone to confirm the size of the Allen wrench needed since it didn't come with one and you can't see the rod in the head stock access hole. I tried my 4mm (long handle) T-wrench from Stew-Mac but it didn't seem to be the right size?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comment

I was just about to recommend you to Johnstone fishing rod for sale in Dubai but I see he's already on the case!
                              Last edited by nadaletsc3; 02-25-2021, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X