X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson PC-1 Setup

Hi - Need help with the following:

1. Pickup heights for all three pickups
    2. How to set the two pots on the sustainer circuit board.

My now ex-guitar tech messed with the pickup heights and both pots on the sustainer circuit board and now my wonderful PC-1 sounds horrible.

Need these two items desperately! Help please...:think:

Chris

Check your PM.

Let me know if you run into trouble.
    Remember... never leave the pots maxed out. You'll kill the board.
    -Rick

Comment

I was just about to recommend you to rjohnstone but I see he's already on the case!

Comment

Hey Everyone, I hate to use this thread for my first post but I need the same setup info for my 2 week old Solar PC1. I am having a rough time getting any info from Jackson/Fender support. They promise to email any available documentation but nothing yet. A basic setup and operation manual for the sustainer doesn't seem to be to much to ask for a $3k guitar.
        From what I have been able to find on the web the on off toggle is working correctly but the Fundamental/Harmonic toggle is backward meaning it seems to be in the fundamental mode in the down position and in the up position just fades and squeals.
        I even drove 120 mile round trip to a Jackson authorized Repair Facility but they weren't able to verify anything and were told I would have to ship the guitar back to Fender/Jackson.
        Seems silly when it could be a minor adjustment plus aprox. 4 week turnaround. Everything else about this piece is perfect.
        I would appreciate any help you may provide. I purchased it from American Musical which I have had great luck with in the past with a 45 day return policy and a free year extended warranty but I just found out there's a 10 day return policy on anything over $2K (fine print) so I own it.
        I am also the proud owner of a Pearl white/Kahler, Charvel/Jackson Model 6 that purchased new in 1987. Still love it.
        Regards, KJ

Comment

I would send it in since it's still under the one year warranty on the electronics.
          You can make adjustments to the two trim pots on the board if want, but you risk voiding your warranty.

The squealing is coming from the gain pot (center of the board) being set to high.
          -Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick, that's probably the best route to take. I am certain that the Fundamental/Harmonic switch is reversed so there very well could be other problems. Really disappointed to subject it to another 6000 mile trip. The guitar proper is otherwise perfect, I hope it returns the same way.
            I still would like pickup/driver height specs and such. Can't believe they ship this guitar without an operation manual for the Sustainer. I know its been around a while but there has been several variations and updates over the years.
            Regards, KJ

Comment

A "reversed" switch is due to the trim pots not being set properly. I've corrected a few over the years that had this issue.
              The sustainer driver and humbucker are out of phase and the gain is set to high.
              Adjusting both trim pots on the board is how you correct it. Takes 5 minutes if you have the right tool and don't mind dialing in the board while it's hot.
              Just get a plastic phillips head screw driver like you would use on glasses and a sharpie to mark the original settings and then dial up or down from there.
              You switch between on and off to set the gain (volume should be the same) and then switch between modes to dial in the driver itself.
              As for the height for the pickups, 1/4" - 3/8" from the strings seems to be the sweet spot.
              -Rick

Comment

Awesome information Rick, Thanks again. I also found this from 2007 from Bengal65 (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/676...ainer-Controls) very helpful and hopefully still relevant. This should ship with every PC1. The squeal from harmonic mode is relieved by rolling off the intensity knob but then I loose the harmonics all together so an adjustment is definitely in order. I'll have to find out if simple adjustments are acceptable, as long as I don't toast the board, concerning warranty.
                Also wondering if it's normal to get strange Flanging/Popping noises with intensity knob rolled in to deep? I suspect it is but I'm just trying to determine whether or not I have more than adjustment issues.
                Thanks again for your help, KJ

Comment

You should not get any popping sound when adjusting the intensity.
                  If you are, your board or the pot may have issues.
                  I'd still send it back and use the warranty while you still have it.
                  -Rick

Comment

Thats my plan Rick, I won't make any adjustments unless I get an OK from tech support. I am going to check pickup clearance this weekend and make sure all the obvious areas are in order before I send it back. Still haven't heard from Jackson yet, Fender must have those boys running wide open.
                    Thanks for taking the time to reply Rick, KJ
                    Last edited by kjschultz; 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Update: The guys at Jackson/Fender tech support have been very helpful so far concerning the sustainer issue and made arrangements to have the PC1 shipped overnight to the custom shop for repair. I had to take it to another authorized repair facility and they confirmed, with Jackson Tech, the sustainer was not operating properly and Jackson made shipping arrangements immediately. They will not authorize any onsite repairs concerning the sustainer electronics.
                      Even though it was shipped overnight I'm still looking at a 3 week turnaround.
                      The frustrating part for me is that I can't rest until I understand how everything concerning this sustainer is supposed to be setup. There is a plethora of info concerning setup for the PC1 on the internet most of which is somewhat dated plus a lot of confusion between the Jackson Sustainer and the Sustainiac but I can't confirm any of it with Jackson techs. One guy did tell me that there are probably only 3 people in the company that truly understand the sustainer system, hopefully my new axe finds its way to one.
                      I'll keep updating as I get more info.

Comment

Update:Two weeks ago Jackson sent several of the PC1 sustainer boards back to the manufacturer for repairs. One week ago they had not heard anything more. So my question was, why don't they just put another board in and send it back. Well now the word is that Jackson's entire supply of sustainer boards are defective and have to be sent back as well. Conservative turnaround estimate is another 60 to 90 days......Wow! So potentially I'll own this for 6 Months before I can actually use it. Really disappointed.
                        I purchased it July 1st and after one authorized repair facility, hours on the internet and this forum (Thanks rjohnstone) and countless phone calls, I took it to a Guitar Center which is an authorized Fender/Jackson dealer where their repair tech confirmed the sustainer was not working correctly.
                        and they have handled everything since. That's the great thing about this story... I didn't buy this from Guitar Center but they have handled this and treated me like I did though I have spent a ton there over the years. American Musical Supply on the other hand didn't help at all.
                        Last edited by kjschultz; 08-19-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the delays.
                          Sounds like Floyd Rose (they are the OEM for Jackson sustainers) has a QA issue on their production line.
                          I wonder how many other defective boards slipped through QA?
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            Check your PM.

Let me know if you run into trouble.
                            Remember... never leave the pots maxed out. You'll kill the board.
                            I have a ton of pc1 guitars. What does that mean never leave your pots maxed out, you'll kill the board?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.sinn View Post
                              I have a ton of pc1 guitars. What does that mean never leave your pots maxed out, you'll kill the board?
                              Leaving the trim pots on the board maxed out will shorten the life span of the caps and the sustainer driver transformer. Plus the thing will feedback like a mother at the slightest touch.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X