Value of a late 80's Jackson Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of a late 80's Jackson Strat?

There's a pretty cool looking late 80's Strat shape guitar at local store near me that has a pretty cool graphic of a wanted poster that even goes onto the back of the body. Its a sc/hum config, the pickups are painted over to match the artwork, rosewood or ebony board with abalone dots. Didn't get a chance to play it, as I just had a little time to stop by and buy strings. They wanted $799 for it, which sounded decent but I'm not so sure its a great price. What is the typical value of these strat style Jacksons nowadays, with the recession and all? I didn't think the strat style USA's were that popular or valuable, maybe thats changing as I saw a GID snakeskin late 80's dinky or strat on the bay go for like $800 and it looked like it was owned by Charlie Sheen. Any help would be appreciated!

You mean this one?

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/117...ighlight=sorta

Ones with rare graphics in great condition with ebony and/or OFR's and/or OHSC can fetch $800. Plain color ones with JT6's in decent condition can still be found in the $500's. There are some psychos on the bay who are asking for two thousand. :think: That is a decent price for a GC guitar I suppose, but that graphic will require a, uh, "special" type of buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      You mean this one?

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/117...ighlight=sorta

Ones with rare graphics in great condition with ebony and/or OFR's and/or OHSC can fetch $800. Plain color ones with JT6's in decent condition can still be found in the $500's. There are some psychos on the bay who are asking for two thousand. :think: That is a decent price for a GC guitar I suppose, but that graphic will require a, uh, "special" type of buyer.
      Haha, yeah thats the one. I guess I consider myself pretty special, because I kind of like it I'm glad you chipped in too Axe, you seem to be the strat man. How often do these strat style Jacksons come up? Because I really like the looks of these, they are about as close as you can get to a Charvel it seems as far as Jacksons go. How is the neck profile compared to a San Dimas Charvel? I'm gonna try and haggle them a lot, and see if they will take $500 or $600. Heres the GID Snakeskin auction I was talking about
      http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-GLOW-DAR...9#ht_500wt_922

Comment

I kinda dig it, but I prefer my graphics to make sense in the playing position.

Be a shame to refin it... Or would it...
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Shmoofer View Post
          Haha, yeah thats the one. I guess I consider myself pretty special, because I kind of like it I'm glad you chipped in too Axe, you seem to be the strat man. How often do these strat style Jacksons come up? Because I really like the looks of these, they are about as close as you can get to a Charvel it seems as far as Jacksons go. How is the neck profile compared to a San Dimas Charvel? I'm gonna try and haggle them a lot, and see if they will take $500 or $600. Heres the GID Snakeskin auction I was talking about
          http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-GLOW-DAR...9#ht_500wt_922
          Yeah I recall that one, looks a bit Dinky-ish to me. I have a bonified GID Snake strat in mint condish that blows doors on that one:

There are usually one or two strats on the bay at any one time, but they do seem to be getting harder to find. The neck is similar if not identical to a SD Charvel. But, with these, you sometimes have to deal with wonky features like JT6's.

Comment

Uh oh I'm starting to think on that Wanted strat. Better grab it fast!

Comment

I just called the store.....According to the guy I spoke with...

Rosewood board
              Copy-Cat Floyd.

If it had a real Floyd I would have bought it. If it had an Ebony board, I probably would still have bought it and changed the floyd to a real one.

Comment

Just letting you all know, I called and the guy working there said that it looked like it was in great shape, so I asked the serial number and to haggle and he said he'd ask the manager. So now, he just called back and said that last time he looked about a week ago, the guitar was about a 9/10. Now he said he looked and someone must have dropped it, because there is a 2 or 3 inch big chip and crack on the upper horn... he'd sell for $500 but I said no... kind of sucks. It would have been my first Jackson too... I don't think its worth it now.

Comment

Oh no the Guitar Denter strikes again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shmoofer View Post
                    Just letting you all know, I called and the guy working there said that it looked like it was in great shape, so I asked the serial number and to haggle and he said he'd ask the manager. So now, he just called back and said that last time he looked about a week ago, the guitar was about a 9/10. Now he said he looked and someone must have dropped it, because there is a 2 or 3 inch big chip and crack on the upper horn... he'd sell for $500 but I said no... kind of sucks. It would have been my first Jackson too... I don't think its worth it now.
                    Shit, I hope he did not drop it after talking to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X