Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XTRR p'up switch and 24.78" tone characteristics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim I gotta say in my opinion it's the Blackouts. I was really disappointed in them after all the hype. I thought they sounded way too high gain and shrilly. Even running thru a AxefX they were too hot and a bitch to try and clean up.

Emgs sound better to my ears and I'm more into passives these days (Bare Knuckles). I have had other short scale guitars and haven't really noticed that being a issue. Obviously Alder is somewhat of a brighter tone wood but even Emgs + Alder never sounded as shrilly to me. Come to think of it I had a X2N which acted like the Blackouts. Just too hot, got rid of that too.

But in the end tone and what sounds good is subjective. If your more of a actives guy maybe try some Emgs in it and see how it behaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikernaut2 View Post
      Jim I gotta say in my opinion it's the Blackouts. I was really disappointed in them after all the hype. I thought they sounded way too high gain and shrilly. Even running thru a AxefX they were too hot and a bitch to try and clean up.

Emgs sound better to my ears and I'm more into passives these days (Bare Knuckles). I have had other short scale guitars and haven't really noticed that being a issue. Obviously Alder is somewhat of a brighter tone wood but even Emgs + Alder never sounded as shrilly to me. Come to think of it I had a X2N which acted like the Blackouts. Just too hot, got rid of that too.

But in the end tone and what sounds good is subjective. If your more of a actives guy maybe try some Emgs in it and see how it behaves.
      I hear ya, Mike. I don't have that problem on my other axes -a USA Hamer Californian Elite custom (solid maple), a DK1, an RR EX and a USA Hamer Diablo. Shit, I even have them coming on my cs Star. I'll admit the Blackouts are hot but with a little tweeking on the eq, and the right amp, I've dialed up a sweet tone in all cases but this. I'll pass on the emg's. I've tried them in the DK1, the Cali and the Diablo and I just wasn't digging them. They sound thin to me. But as you pointed out, it's very much a subjective thing. I respect that other folks dig 'em. Hell, the other guitarist in the band got an amazing tone with 'em going thru a Fender 4 x 10 and a Boss ME 50. Go figure.

Comment

I didn't like the Blackouts either - exactly as you described. Way too much high-end ("sizzle"). If you're looking for a pickup that responds like an active, but has all the bonuses of a passive, the Bare Knuckle Aftermath is your answer. It's the tightest, most precise pickup I have ever heard. When my Guitar Rig Kontrol gets here, I can record some clips for you to show you how tight this thing is.

Regarding the Custom Shop pickup placement - Is this not a custom model? I was unaware Jackson did a production line of XTRRs.

I say swap for an EMG-85X in the bridge and either a 60 or 81 in the neck.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
          Regarding the Custom Shop pickup placement - Is this not a custom model? I was unaware Jackson did a production line of XTRRs.
          It is a Custom Shop, but they did indeed do a production line for a brief period... they were 25.5" scale with 22 frets.

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...2000Page03.jpg
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X