NBD - 1990 USA Concert Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBD - 1990 USA Concert Bass

eBay Bonus Bucks was on and I just got a decent Christmas bonus. With my Thunderbird out getting Bartolini electronics - active EQ and push-pull coil split - I want to put it back in E standard, so I needed another bass for B standard. Almost fell for a BC Rich that turned out to be effectively an NJ series, but went with this to match my Rhoads.

https://reverb.com/item/33351579-jac...gun-metal-gray
    https://reverb.com/item/41301869-jac...ge-bass-guitar

Seems this bass has had quite the journey getting flipped and flipped again, from Florida to Arizona to the eBay seller Illinois to me in Virginia. Along the way, the electronics were changed from what probably was Jackson passive(?) pickups with active EQ to EMGs with a passive tone control. I added the Hipshot A-style bridge so I could load extra heavy strings, and want to install EMG's active tone controls and toggle switch. Would I need a second battery to be able to keep the active EMG set? I'm also tempted to get a graphic refinish.

I almost pulled the trigger on that bass when it was on reverb since it matches my gunmetal jackson strat from the same time, kinda bummed I didn't, but I am glad that a JCF'r ended up with it! congrats!!!

I don't think you'd need a second battery for adding the controls, though adding the additional active stuff will definitely reduce the battery life overall. but the emg stuff is generally so low-current I would not imagine it would be a problem.

personally I love the gunmetal finishes from that era so I would leave it exactly as is. but it's your guitar.

BTW, what brand and string gauge you using for B standard?

Comment

Well, I used Kalium stainless steel .142 / .106 / .079 / .059 on my Thunderbird. (Gibson, not Jackson). Thankfully, the Babicz Gibson replacement bridge was able to fit those strings. The luthier probably sent me the wrong strings, these aren't tapered like the Kalium strings were. I only know that the low B on this set is at least a .130.

I'm not refinishing my Rhoads, which is in a similar black metallic finish, it's covered in stickers instead. I think I need some stickers here, at least to cover the gouge by the bass side of the bridge. Actually, I might try drop filling it first. That ding was the worst of them.
      Last edited by DesolationBlvd; 12-19-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Is it just me, or is that headstock 1 inch(+) longer than the modern day concert basses? Definitely looks longer than the JS3 I'm looking at.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Little update, I bought the Jackson bass case that was on Reverb. The seller was in Florida, and was the same guy who sold me my Rickenbacker 4001 back in 2014. He said the case was for a neck-thru, but that shouldn't matter, right?

Comment

I once had an original WR1 SKB case (rectangle, not the Kelly/Warrior version), and found the bolt-on WRMG I had at the time would not fit because of the interior mould/neck rest area. I guess the only way you're gonna find out is when you sit the bass in the case. You may have to buy a generic case instead, or try the latest hardshell bass gigbag. See my thread ranting about Jackson bass cases.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Congratulations!!

She's looking Beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                Is it just me, or is that headstock 1 inch(+) longer than the modern day concert basses? Definitely looks longer than the JS3 I'm looking at.
                It is. About the same size as the current five string headstock.

It was downsized in 1990 when the tuner model changed to a smaller one.

Originally posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
                Little update, I bought the Jackson bass case that was on Reverb. The seller was in Florida, and was the same guy who sold me my Rickenbacker 4001 back in 2014. He said the case was for a neck-thru, but that shouldn't matter, right?
                If it is a genuine old Jackson case, it will fit like a glove. Charvel case works too.

Congratulations for the bass. Looks nice and I love the oiled necks on these. I have a gun metal gray bolt-on bass too but it is a few years older than yours.

Comment

Finally got the case and the EMG active tone. The B245 allowed me to use the original switch, and the active tone and 18v operation sounds clearer than the passive tone that was in there before. The case also fits well. My worry about the case: that there's a little pressure on the headstock, namely the tuners.

I think this bass has found its forever home with me.

Comment

Working...
                  X