Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dk2mt?

Hi all,

I absolutely love the DK2M, but really want a hardtail. I know they make a DK2T, but that maple fingerboard on the DK2M looks so SWEET (with trans blue - my choice). Anyway, I was thinking I could get some info here before I make the plunge.

First, I read an old post that Jackson was *supposed* to come out with a DK2MT. Anyone know what the status is with that? Will they be releasing the 2008 line soon? Is the DK2MT part of the new line?

Second, I am thinking about just getting a DK2M and then installing the Tremol-No on it. That actually solves my problem, but it seems ridiculous to pay for the licensed floyd rose and then pay more to cancel it out! Plus, doesn't a string-thru typically sound better than a floyd rose that has a Tremol-No on it? Although this last point is probably not that important to me since I probably won't notice the difference.

No need to bother with Tremol-No reviews. I have read up on the Tremol-No, watched the install video, and even emailed Kevan a few times. By the way, he says hi to you all! He's a super-friendly and helpful guy. I am convinced the Tremol-No is a good product and will certainly buy it if that turns out to be the best way to get what I want. What I am trying to figure out is, am I missing a solution?

I would even be willing to stretch my budget and get a USA Select, but the SL1/2 T models only come with
    ebony fretboards. And of course, stretching my budget to get a custom is ridiculous for someone at my skill level.

I appreciate any suggestions.

--Par

How about a DK2T, sell off the neck, and put a DK2M neck on it. Just buy the DK2M alone. You could get $200 for the DK2T neck. You want the sound and solidness a hardtail gives, don't go the tremol-no route.

Either that or get a Ran. Much cheaper than a Jackson CS axe. You could even get it with an AANJ.
    Last edited by texasfury; 10-04-2007, 12:02 AM.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

I did consider doing something like that, but then I would have to buy both the DK2T (you meant to say DK2T right, and not DKMT) and DK2M right? It seems easier and cheaper to go with the Tremol-No solution to me.

Comment

No string thrus don't typically sound better than a floyd.People that don't know dick always say stupid things like this to appear knowledgable.
        Its all just opinion nothing more. Any guitar can be a tone turd be it neck thru,string thru,bolt on etc.Be different make up your own mind and find what YOU like not what some bone head thinks.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Allright dude. Jeez - relax. I'm just looking for other options right now to see if there is a better way to approach this. No need to be so salty...

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Ran texasfury. I just checked out their website and it seems to be a decent option if I am willing to stretch my budget. Sorry to be such a noob, but what is "AANJ?"

Comment

All access neck joint is soemthing found on a lot of Ibanez's it's a sculpted almost non exsistant bolt on, the Ran neck joint is more like the caparison which is rounded and smaller than a normal four bolt fender style but bigger than an all access...

I plan to get another Ran Custom soon possibly with a wlkinson Trem, or schaller hardtail, I dont like the height of tunomatics...

Allthough there's nothing worng with gettigna dk2m and doing what inazone did and just block the trem off with wood...

that's cheaper than a tremelno all yuou need is soem wood and then jsut cut it to size and stick it between the trem block so it stays flat...

Comment

Nice explanation on the AANJ.

I heard about the wood block method, but the Tremol-No is so much "cleaner" - I can be really anal at times. And an additional $75 for the Tremol-No still keeps the entire setup under my budget so no problem there.

Comment

The do-it-yourself blocking method would be a good way to determine if you like the feel of the Floyd in general, before spending the money on a Tremol-no. As for the "cleaner" aspect of it, it doesn't get much cleaner than a properly sized block in the trem cavity. When doing my own blocking, I just use a rectangular eraser or taped 9V battery behind the trem's sustain block. Some people just tape together a stack of business cards. When I have it professionally done, it's with wood.
                  sigpic

Comment

Being an owner of a DK2T, I can say, its an AMAZING guitar!! I love it almost as much as my SL2HT. However, in tone, the SL2HT beats the DK2T. But in playability...

Like texasfury said, the easiest is to replace the neck. But make sure the necks can be swapped. You can get DK2M type of neck easily on eBay. But finding a DK2T body in the exact color and condition you want can be quite challenging. I searched almost 6 months for a Trans-black DK2T.

That said, the DK2T's neck holds considerable value in ebay auctions and is harder to find. That was the main reason why I didnt want to buy some body and get a DK2T's neck. One neck sold close to $400. i'm not kidding. Also, approx only 1 out of 5 necks that sell on eBay are designed for a string-thru. Most of them have a locking nut. So, if you decide to swap the neck on a DK2T with a DK2M's neck, you can make some money.

I had blocked the trem of my Ibanez and I did lose some sustain. Maybe the guitar degenerated over time, but I could swear I lost some sustain. I used the tiny wood blocks method. IMO, if you decide to block the trem, you should make use of a material or materials that can conduct sound well enough. The stack of business cards, I dont think is a good idea because cardboard is not that good a conductor of sound. Metal is a very good conductor and hence your tremolo-no would work well. Wood is a good conductor, but when you stack many layers, there's the gap between which kills the sound. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. but basic physics would hold the theory.

There is another difference between a string-thru and a floyd especially if you dont need the floyd. The overall weight of a floyd'd guitar is more.
                    Sam

Comment

I think a DK2MT would be an awsome addition to the Jackson Pro lineup. I would seriously consider one

Jack

Comment

Cheaper to just block the floyd. You won't lose out on body colour options either.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

That is my point, I don`t want to block the Floyd. Don`t get me wrong, I love Floyd`s, especially non-recessed ones, but when I want a non-floyd guitar, it meens not a floyd that is blocked to get it. I am very picky about guitars and kinda anal about thema also

Jack

Comment

If you use a DK2M's neck for a DK2T, wouldn't you have to shave the bolt-on section of the neck at a slope/angle to make it fit in the slanted neck pocket?
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Excellent input everyone. It is much appreciated. Being a noob, I really wanted to evaluate all my options before making a decision.

Inazone - you're right, it doesn't get much "cleaner" than a perfectly sized block of wood. I'm probably going to buy the DK2M and take a look at the trem setup in person and then decide whether to buy a Tremol-No or just install the wood block.

emperor_black - great info on the necks and all. I am a little nervous about buying all that stuff and putting on the neck myself. Being a noob, I could see myself doing the job, it looking great, and then when I first play it, all the friggin strings buzzing or something like that because I didn't set the neck exactly right. Great points on the trem blocking methods and the weight issue.

slayer and wilkinsi - exactly! I want what I want. I am too anal about my guitars for a guy who can't play worth shiit!

So, bottom line: I think I will be ordering a DK2M (trans-blue) and then after I get it, decide whether to block with wood, or get a Tremol-No. Thanks for all the great info and discussion all!

PS - I did look into the Ran customs, and unfortunately after Euro conversion, shipping, and customs, it will be within a few hundred bucks of a Jackson CS. Too much for me right now...
                              Last edited by pkarandi; 10-08-2007, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X