slsmg pot question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slsmg pot question?

I got a new slsmg limited trans black for christmas and just a couple weeks later my volume pot started shorting out or something. I could touch it and make it turn off and on. My first thought was a bad ground, but after inspection the ground was fine. I know they haven't made this guitar in a couple of years so I thought it wasn't a big deal since it had probably been sitting for awhile. the tone pot also has carbon in it. anyways, I went to change the volume and noticed that the pot was a small 250k while the tone was a large emg type 500k. is this normal, or do you think it was changed at some point. I put a large 500k in as a replacement and it works fine. also, is there a good spray or something I could get the carbon out of the other one or should I just replace it too.

Re: slsmg pot question?

Well EMG uses 25k mini pots, so its not an EMG pot. Chances are that the 250k vol pot was changed out and the 500k tone is origional. You should always use a 500k pot with humbucking pickups. So change the volume pot to a 500k pot and youll be good to go. I personally like the larger pots as they have a larger surface area for soldering, but thats just prefrence.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

thanks. I had some extra emg pots and switched the volume. I'm just confused 'cause the guitar was supposed to be new and had that 250k in it. right on on the larger soldering area. I hate small pots. thanks for the reply. If anyone here has an slsmg check out your pots and let me know if they're mixed like that. thanks.

Comment

The one I had (before I sold it) had 500k pots for both the volume and tone. Like RobRR said, it sounds like the volume pot was swapped out at some point before you got the guitar.

Comment

Both pots on my Red Flametop SLSMG were bad from day one. I will take a look at them when I swap them out. I bought it new.
          RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
          CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
          Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
          Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Both pots on my Red Flametop SLSMG were bad from day one. I will take a look at them when I swap them out. I bought it new.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 (exept for mine being trans black)

Comment

Working...
            X