Dr Newcenstein's latest creation - The Blackbird1 Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Newcenstein's latest creation - The Blackbird1 Warrior

Ok, so most everyone is familiar with the Warbird1 graphic on Warriors from 1990 (Army green with steel plates, Air Force insignia/logos/etc, and a hot pinup), well, FINALLY I got the chance and the design I needed to do the graphic that first made me want Drake's "Blackout" Warrior Pro (black binding on head and neck) -
    I proudly present to you: Blackbird1

(Don't ask me why there's a blueish tint to the pic - I can't explain it)

This is why I didn't make a fuss over the headstock being snapped in two - I finally had the guitar I've been waiting on for about a year, and I wasn't gonna let a little thing like that take it away from me.

Anyhoo, the lines and dots are gray paint (yeah yeah, the bolts look sloppy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and the images are waterslide decals.

But I think I may have gone overboard with the decals on the back:

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, here's the rest of the gory details of the headstock damage:

When Drake offered it for sale, he was in the middle of having someone replace the black binding with white, and only the headstock was done. I thought about just painting it black, or maybe red.

Newc

p.s. Here's the Skully pic if anyone wants it (HuntinDoug?)
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Dr Newcenstein\'s latest creation - The Blackbird1 Warrior

Newc, looks cool. It looks like you had fun with that one. A little hint. When I did the rivet heads on my model 2 I took a hole punch to some masking tape and laid it out for the panel lines. Try it if you do another one.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - I was gonna do something like that, but didn't have a hole punch [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      I've got the hands of a butcher when it comes to paint, so I stick with decals for a reason [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I masked off the lines (tried to match them to the Warbird1 graphic I have) and slapped the paint on a little too thick. Then I freehanded the rivets. I guess I could go back with a small round socket driver and scrape off the excess with an Exacto - hafta try that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Hey Newc, why don't you post a closeup pick of the chick on it. Let's see some more detail!

Chuck
        "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Damn, that is awesome. "Risk of death or worse" is the best decal on there. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Did u do all of that on top of the clearcoat?

Are you or did you put clearcoat over top of it?

Comment

It's on top of the clearcoat (and easily removable) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Boxcar - I painted those blue lines with gray paint [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              I used a Testors brush set - 3 in a pack (one pointy and two kinda wide) and some Testors enamel paint.

Closeup of the chick? How about the chick by herself? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Ok, that's what I thought...next time you want a more consistent coat when you're painting lines or something like that, I suggest using sponge applicators like this instead of brushes. Just tape off how you want the lines to be and cover the whole end of the sponge in paint and go for it. It'll be smoother and more consistent than a brush.

Comment

Stickers on the back should go on the front [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

NEWC!!!!!....WTF!?!?! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I couldda shot that thing up nice for ya...if you had let me in on your "little secret" about a month ago, when you first hatched this plan!!

I owned that one too....geez these things get around!....Can't believe it got busted though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Looks very cool though...I would've personally done it more like a Stealth bomber and taken the clear coat off first...but that's just me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the concept....

Comment

Ken - The finish is so worn and dull already that it's almost a Matte finish [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I thought about sending it to be painted instead of the decals, but:
                        -I'm nearly broke [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        -Having been busted once, I'm not too eager to send it through another round of shipping [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        -I've been trying to get the decal thing nailed - lots of trial and error, and lots of expensive paper going in the trash [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And just in case someone might not have seen it, here's the Warbird1 graphic [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Newc, dude, don't take this the wrong way, but...you REALLY have a thing for ugly-faced chicks with gigantic hooters, doncha? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Newc

--------------------
                            2003 - Year of the Blown Goat - Has ended.
                            What will 2004 be known as?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">year of the raped chickens
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Newc what did you use to paint those blue lines on with?

Comment

Working...
                              X