DXMG: Noisy pots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG: Noisy pots.

I recently received a Jackson DXMG (Road Hazard Yellow - it's really beautiful), and I've got one really disturbing issue with it; the pots (mainly the tone pot, but also the volume one) are noisy. They make that scratching noise that I'm sure all of you have heard. It really annoys me that a brand new guitar has this problem. What should I do about it? Do I have to replace the pots? If so, how much would that cost? I can't really go back to the retailer, since I live in Sweden, and I ordered the guitar from the U.S. (Guitarxpress)

Re: DXMG: Noisy pots.

Noisy pots eh?

It's an easy fix usually.

Get some electric contact cleaner, in the spray can.. spray it through a gap into the pot. (You may have to remove the pot from the guitar to access)

Then turn the knob a few times, it should clear right up!

Other than that, how do you like the guitar?

Comment

Yeah, I've thought of doing just that. Probably I will. It's just that a guy at a music store I talked to said that it's really only a temporary solution, and that the pots need to be replaced. Sounds really strange if I have to replace the pots on a brand new guitar, though. Well well, I'll try to get some of that spray, and see if it works. Otherwise, I guess I no choice but to replace the pots. It just feels rather bad if I have to do that on a new Jackson, you kinda expect some quality in their guitar.

Other than that, I love the guitar! I'm really happy I chose the road hazard yellow finish, it makes the guitar look so much more attractive than an ordinary black one (in my personal opinion). Love the reversed headstock as well. The neck is sleek and fast, although the fact that it is a bolt-on makes the highest few frets a little hard to reach. I LOVE the jumbo frets, never had a guitar with those before. It sounds great too, although the passive EMG-HZ's are perhaps not the best pickups ever created. Thinking I will probably replace them with an 81-85 set sometime in the future. However, compared to my previous guitar (a Cort strato-imitation) it sounds faboulus!

Comment

My DXMG pots have been just fine.

As far as spraying being a temporary solution.. pots DO need cleaning every once in a while.

If you clean them out, I would think they will work fine for a least a couple years..

I'm surprised you don't like the EMG-HZ.

I think they're great.. I like em better than alot of my other Duncans.

To me, they sound like a Duncan Distortion, with a tighter bottom end.

But, everyone has their own ideas.

I'll have to check out a RH DXMG as well. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I just think it's strange that the pots were noisy from the day I got the guitar. Oh well, I'll just have to hope that the spray will work wonders. Have any tips on WHAT spray to get? I've heard that 2-26 would do the job...?

I didnt't say I don't like the EMG-HZ's! As I said, I think the guitar sounds great. I just think active pickups would give it a little more power. However, I'm NOT really complaining! =)

Comment

Originally posted by Breeze:
            I recently received a Jackson DXMG (Road Hazard Yellow - it's really beautiful), and I've got one really disturbing issue with it; the pots (mainly the tone pot, but also the volume one) are noisy. They make that scratching noise that I'm sure all of you have heard. It really annoys me that a brand new guitar has this problem. What should I do about it? Do I have to replace the pots? If so, how much would that cost? I can't really go back to the retailer, since I live in Sweden, and I ordered the guitar from the U.S. (Guitarxpress)
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that happened to mine in gunmetal grey . the pots ended up being screwed . I put some wd products 500k pots in there and they sound way nicer even the tone pot sounds better . try it out the pots only cost ya 5 or 6 bucks or so and maybe 20 for the install if you can't do it yourself [remember all my prices are Canadian] //Steve

Comment

Okay, thanks for the tip! 500k pots you say? What are the stock pots in the DXMG, and how big is the difference?
              Will 500k pots work if I choose to replace my pickups with an 81-85 set?

Comment

DeOxit by Caig will fix those pots right up! If all that's wrong with them is that they are dirty just spray a little DeOxit into the pot and work it back and fortha a few times and she should be good as new. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The stock pots are probably 500K, which will not work with active EMGs. The actives use something a lot lower (I think 25K), and EMG supplies them w/the pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathDaily:
                    The stock pots are probably 500K, which will not work with active EMGs. The actives use something a lot lower (I think 25K), and EMG supplies them w/the pickups.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes emg active pick ups use 25k pots and they come with the pickups , but the hz series use 500k pots ... and contact cleaner doesn't always clean the pots guys if it's been like that to long the get wrecked , mine did that for 1 month cause I was busy I had no time to clean em and I was out of contact cleaner when I did get around to it I sprayed and sprayed and twisted em back and fourth and no go they were gone , but those wd pots are great if yours go or are gone , I have had no problems with this since and its a small cheap upgrade for your guitar , anyway think of it as 3 packs of strings [cost of]or something . good luck ! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat:
                      DeOxit by Caig will fix those pots right up! If all that's wrong with them is that they are dirty just spray a little DeOxit into the pot and work it back and fortha a few times and she should be good as new. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, thanks for the advise! Hmm... I'm checking it out right now, and it seems you can buy both pure (100%) DeOxit and a solution with 5%. Which do I want?

Comment

My friend's DXMG do like this after he take the guitar from the shop to his home.
                        Not only yours..Breeze

Padak

Comment

I own a DK2-BOF that I had exactly the same problem with from the time I bought it brand spankin' new; the spray contact cleaner did the trick for me, and I did have to open up the back to access the pot in order to properly spray it on too.

Comment

Oh yeah, and I was just curious, did you happen to buy your Road-Hazard Yellow DKMG from Guitar Xpress? 'Cause that's also where I bought my DK2-BOF from too, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by KarmicApexIntellect:
                              Oh yeah, and I was just curious, did you happen to buy your Road-Hazard Yellow DKMG from Guitar Xpress? 'Cause that's also where I bought my DK2-BOF from too, lol!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I did buy it from Guitarxpress! As far as I know they're the only ones who sell the DXMG with the RHY finish. I think Jackson made the limitied RHY edition (as well as the previous RHY models) for Guitarxpress exclusively. Or am I wrong?
                              Great store, by the way. The prices are really right on, as is the service!

Comment

Working...
                              X