scooped lower bout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scooped lower bout?

What exactly is a lower bout? Is it the lower cutaway on the body? If it is...I've noticed some Dinkys have it and others don't...is there a reason for that?

Re: scooped lower bout?

I've had four Dinkies (two at the moment) and they've all had that little scallop on the lower horn cutaway. I don't know why some do and some don't. I believe the Fusion line has them, also.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Lower bout means lower cutaway and lower horn (Strats, Explorers, Stars, Warriors, Kellys, etc etc).

Both my Dinkys have them (mid 90s USA and 2001 DK-2), but they are generally found on Fusions, and rarely (if ever) on Soloists.

I'm not sure why they did that other than to allow easier access to the higher frets, as opposed to deepening the cutout for the horn, but I'd like to compare the cutout of a guitar that does have the scallop to one of the same model that doesn't have it, to see it the cutouts are equally deep.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have a Fusion Pro and it does not have a scalloped lower horn. But both of my Dinky Reverses do.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Hmm, that's interesting. For some reason I thought all the Fusions had it. Guess not.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Lower bout is the butt end of the guitar is it not? Look at a gutar sitting on a stand. Think of it as a woman for example sake. You have the headstock, The neck, the upper bought (the shoulders) the waist, then the hips (the lower bout). The refferance to the cutaways would then be bass side or treble side cutaway. In respect to the instrument itself techiniqly the upper bout would then be the treble side because thats where the first string is. We count them from the bottom up. Which in relation to string size makes sense but not in normal thinking. We count from top to bottom normally. Ok im starting to ramble so i'm done now.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              Hmm, that's interesting. For some reason I thought all the Fusions had it. Guess not.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seems to be somewhat of a misconception that it's a defining characteristic of the fusion. But all a fusion really is is a short-scale dinky. The scallop was just thrown in seemingly indiscriminantly.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                and rarely (if ever) on Soloists.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some Archtop Soloists had them.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Like this one, from a thread that you yourself started! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

doesn't really make it more playable I've had strat shapes [dinky and fusion] with both and they never helped me hit any higher notes , I think they are just strictly cosmetic . and they do look cool I think ! //Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X