Rhoads EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads EX

Hey, I have a rhoads Ex i purchased a while ago. I don't like the dot inlays, do you guys think if I bought a jackson neck from another jackson guitar, like an RR3, would it fit and work fine?

also i took this neck off to look at it and it says 91 inside the neck joint where it goes on the guitar. does that mean its from 1991? the serial number is 925760

Re: Rhoads EX

1) Yeah, probably. However, most newer imports (including the RR3) has plastic inlays, and compared to real MOP, they look like crap.

2) There are numerous serial number theories, but it seems it's always possible to find guitars that defy them all. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    I wouldn't dare to take a guess in this case.

Btw, nice nick! I used to have Grahf as my avatar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "Doth thou desire the power?"

Comment

well, there's no way i could get a bolt-on jackson neck with real MOP inlays could I?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        well, there's no way i could get a bolt-on jackson neck with real MOP inlays could I?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? I bought one on ebay a few weeks ago.

Comment

Rhoads ex is 22 fret right? How many 22 fret imports with sharkies are there? I had been thinking of this also.

Comment

i was mainly thinking an RR3 neck or i could possibly cut the last 2 frets off a dinky

Comment

There are definitely 22-fret import necks with MOP sharkfins out there. The harder piece to find would be the same neck with binding. You might need to be flexible though, such as substituting a Charvel neck instead of a Jackson, or a reverse headstock instead of standard.
              sigpic

Comment

I would rather look for a charvel 475 delux neck. Sharkies and binding.

Comment

Hey Grahf you could go with a Dk-2 neck & cut the last 2 frets off that would solve the problem plus give you a neck,& headstock with binding.
                  According To The Prophecy

Comment

Cutting frets off would most likely be a bad idea. The only necks i've ever heard of where the 24 fretter is just an extended fretboard is one option warmoth offers. All the jackson 24s i've seen were actually a longer neck, i.e. the neck pocket is closer to the bridge, not just the end of the fretboard.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I would rather look for a charvel 475 delux neck. Sharkies and binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, beat me to it. Charvel 475 has 22 frets, binding and MOP sharkies on a rosewood board. Only thing is the toothpaste logo.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Cutting frets off would most likely be a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Took the words right out of my mouth. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Agreed.

To use a Charvel 475 neck is a really good idea. Then you get both MOP and binding, and you could stain the rosewood darker. If you don't like the logo you could just paint it over and apply a Jackson decal. You would probably find those necks for cheaper than an RR3 neck too.

Comment

If you cut off frets from a bound neck, you obviously would bogart the binding, so don't do that...

One option would of course be selling the EX and buying a second-hand RR3, or RR5. Then you wouldn't need to get throught the process of finding a replacement neck that actualy fit you guitar, and then try to sell the old EX neck you have...well, it's just my 2 cents...

Comment

Working...
                          X