Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low end Dinky questions.

just a quick question on low end dinkys,

do any of the low end dinkys have painted/varnished fret boards? or are they just oiled?

Re: Low end Dinky questions.

None have painted fretboards, although some might be stained for a more uniform appearance. Even that is doubtful.
    sigpic

Comment

What Inazone said, I dont think I have seen an import w/ stained fretboard, definately not painted or varnished.
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

thats great, thanks for that, but would this stain slow players down in any way? i herd that a painted fretboard would slow you down, would the stain have this effect?

Comment

I personally like maple fretboards with a hard finish..
          I don't think it'll slow you down, but that's just my opinion.

It's just something to get used to.

Comment

I dont see how a stained/painted/varnished fretboard could slow someone down, predominantly you are not touching the fretboard, nor do the strings (unless you have really short frets.

Now a painted neck is a different story. Most Jackson bolt-on neck guitars are not painted or varnished, neckthru models are painted.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Now a painted neck is a different story. Most Jackson bolt-on neck guitars are not painted or varnished, neckthru models are painted.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Yup. To add to this:

I used to prefer oiled or satin finish necks, because the clearcoated ones I used to play created friction against the palm of my hand - and I don't even sweat a lot. However: I have not had this problem with any of my two neck-thru Charvels, who both have painted necks with a glossy clearcoat.

So, there's a difference between "good clearcoat" and "bad clearcoat". I recently picked up my old Vantage, and was instantly reminded of how much I used to hate clearcoated necks. The finish on that neck creates a lot of drag, while the Charvel necks are smooth, fast and free of this problem.

Comment

Working...
              X