Got my Archtop in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got my Archtop in...

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Dammit, another pair of undies soiled!!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mr. Oklastrat, what is the going rate/fair price for an Import Archtop such as the guitars you recently purchased? I'm looking at buying buying one also..Thanks [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

*SQUISH*
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Oh boy!

Yhat's one of the coolest looking guitars I've seen in my whole life! The blue Pro rulz! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Leave some for the rest of us Pete. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I missed what you said the first time. (I'm still not used to the new board yet.)
            Anyways......

I've got four Archtops, but sadly only one is a USA. The others are a Pro AT and two 750's.
            I want another USA AT. And I've been dying to find one with fins instead of dots, but I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing me whine about that one....

I've also been searching for a blue Pro AT for a while now. Hopefully it will help feed my jones
            for another Archtop.

Ha! Right. I want 'em all!

Comment

Just curious, since you have some of both... other than the quality of the maple tops, what are the major differences quality-wise between the pros and the USAs? I'm *VERY* impressed with the quality of the one pro I have, and really wondering how the floyded blue one is too.

Pete

Comment

Body thickness on the 750xls actually makes me PREFER the Pros! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Different strokes for different folks I guess. Sure wish they had made a pro with body binding and nicer tops... oh well.

Pete

Comment

I agree.
                  The Pro AT's have some pretty nice tops in general, but it seems like they mixed too much color
                  in with the finish, and all the flame gets lost. Its only when you have the guitar directly in front
                  of you that you can appreciate the flame on it. I always suspected that if I had my Pro refin'd
                  that the flame would be more vibrant than it is now.

Comment

Personally, I think the USA Archtops are the best production guitar Jackson ever made.
                    The construction is first rate and they definitely don't make them like that anymore. The neck on the
                    USA seems to be a bit beefier than the Pro's and 750's. The downside is the weight. I still think it's
                    a bit heavier than my 750s, but maybe not as much as my Les Paul (which could probably double as
                    a boat anchor.) If you're used to playing the Pro's, a USA might feel like a big chunk of wood
                    hanging around your neck. They both play great. But when I play the Pro after I play the USA,
                    it feels like I'm playing a Stealth or something. The ¼"-less of wood on the Pro makes a huge
                    difference compared to the USA. They may look the same, but to me they are two totally different
                    monsters.

That doesn't mean that the Pro's lack anything in quality. All three models are outstanding guitars.
                    But the USA's also have the body binding and neck through construction, instead of set neck.
                    And since the early USA's do not have the beveled edges on the inside of the cutouts like the 750's
                    and the Pro's do, the body is just that much more thicker. The body binding is over ½" thick by
                    the time it meets with the neck.

Jackson definitely had their sh!t together during that time frame, '89-'91. I'd love to find a
                    SLATQ-H to see how it holds up to the 'trinity'.

Comment

Working...
                    X