Odd HSH Jackson Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd HSH Jackson Dinky

Was looking around at different Jacksons, thinking about adding them to my collection and came upon this one:
    Used Jackson 1996 MIJ PRO DINKY Electric Guitars Red Electric Guitars (musicgoround.com)

I doubt it's a 1996 MIJ, but does look like a MIJ. What got me curious though was the HSH config with the crimson swirl. Looking through the US catalogs on the Jackson website, the first crimson swirl reference I saw was around 2005, but the last Dinky I saw with an HSH config was from 2000 (DK3), and as far as I know custom Japanese Jacksons of this time period go by "Jackon Stars"?

Anybody here capable of shedding some light on this?

Those aren't the original pickups. So, when you are looking up your various models, look for an HSS.
    As far as a year goes - I can't see the serial in those pics. I can't zoom in far enough. But it looks like it is 7 digits starting with 96. That doesn't mean 1996 - and we really wish people (especially stores) would knock that shit off.

So here's what to look for:
    Chrome hardware
    Swirl finish
    Trem model

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      As far as a year goes - I can't see the serial in those pics. I can't zoom in far enough. But it looks like it is 7 digits starting with 96.

Our records (because the JCF is the only definitive resource) indicate that a serial starting with 96 went all the way into 2003.
      Obviously, there are oddballs. And a bolt on is very easy to mutt. But, with those exceptions, a 96 serial could be anywhere from 1996 to 2003.

Comment

Ah I failed to consider that the neck humbucker could have been an aftermarket routing mod of an HSS setup. The neck humbucker does seem closer to the single coil than a typical HSH. TY! In that case I think the guitar definitely dates to the later range of 2003 based on the finish, assuming that wasn't aftermarket too

Thanks!

Comment

They made some DK-2s in that finish i believe at some point.

https://reverb.com/item/36196261-jac...ginal-hardcase

Comment

That pickup hack job is criminal, IMO...

I have a KE3 in Crimson Swirl w/chrome hardware from '04, so that DK2 was most likely made between 2000-2005. IIRC, Jackson switched to black hardware in '06...
            Last edited by Metal Spawn; 02-02-2023, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Even though the pictures are lack luster for identification...
              Do we all feel safe calling this a DK-2 from 2003 with an after-market route on the neck pickup???

Comment

I think that's spot on

Comment

Hi, dropping in late here, but I saw that on the site ages ago. Yes I clocked it as a DK2 with a humbucker neck route. That color wasn't as common as the errie des so it's a shame they carved it up in a sorta wonky way.
                  Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                  My collection also there!

Comment

Working...
                  X