RR24 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR24 questions

New here, did a brief search but no results to my questions (though I probably clicked right past them).
    I've got an RR24 in Maul Red Crackle; got it last month. When looking at the back of the headstock, I saw a sticker with a 9-digit number on it as opposed to a "stamped-in" serial number. Below that, in white, the words "Crafted In China". I contacted Jackson customer support, and they didn't have much info beyond the basic specs on the guitar, etc. So, I got brave and carefully removed the sticker to see what was underneath. Nice white print, 10-digit serial number....but the last 3 digits were "removed" (looks like three zeros, though). I re-applied the sticker above the factory number. This was an eBay purchase, from a seller with 100% feedback (Rayhill Audio). In the description of the condition it states it was refurbished due to a "finish flaw" and goes on to mention being given a "new serial number" by the authorized refurbishing center. I have no issues with the guitar; I can't find the "flaw" anywhere at all.

The number on the sticker is 212500525.
    The factory (white printed) number is CYJ2100, followed by what looks to be three more zeros that are "removed".

Main question: Has anyone had a similar experience with a sticker placed over the original serial number?

I can provide photos; just have to get them onto my PC from my phone.

Thanks, and apologies if this has been covered before in the forum.

JS20s bass (black)
    JS30RR guitar (metallic blue)
    RR24 guitar (Maul Red Crackle)

......and a lot more.

Guitar amp - Crate G-60 "mini-stack" with 2 12" Celestions
    Bass amp - Ashdown Engineering "Perfect 10" mini rig

I remember hearing or seeing similar stories. The CYJ21 would indicate its was made in china in 2021 i believe.

Comment

Isn't an RR24 MIJ or is this some RR24X?
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Well, I was going to post some photos of the guitar, but a window popped up that said I wasn't authorized to post attachments. I'll try another time.

JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by RatDog8o8 View Post
          Well, I was going to post some photos of the guitar, but a window popped up that said I wasn't authorized to post attachments. I'll try another time
          I guess the crackle new pro RR24 are made in China pause video when he is showing the back of the headstock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-XIyD8CLs
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Yes, that's how it works. They send defective guitars to a company in TN for refurbishing. Of course there's not much refurbishing that can be done on guitars. So that company just removes the old serial number, slaps that orange sticker with a new serial number on there, often engrave the word "used" somewhere on back of the headstock, and sells them to any business willing to buy them. If that business is honest, they will state that it is refurbished and what the defect is. Many don't and try to pass them off as lightly used or demo guitars, or worse, as brand new flawless guitars. If yours doesn't have a noticeable defect you got lucky. They can have serious manufacturing defects, like misaligned bridges/necks, wrong dimensions somewhere, etc.
            Last edited by wrldeatr7; 11-15-2022, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
              Yes, that's how it works. They send defective guitars to a company in TN for refurbishing. Of course there's not much refurbishing that can be done on guitars. So that company just removes the old serial number, slaps that orange sticker with a new serial number on there, often engrave the word "used" somewhere on back of the headstock, and sells them to any business willing to buy them. If that business is honest, they will state that it is refurbished and what the defect is. Many don't and try to pass them off as lightly used or demo guitars, or worse, as brand new flawless guitars. If yours doesn't have a noticeable defect you got lucky. They can have serious manufacturing defects, like misaligned bridges/necks, wrong dimensions somewhere, etc.
              Thank you very much! The eBay seller stated that it was refurbished & "stickered" with a new SN, but they also stated that they could not identify the defect. I certainly can't find anything that is an obvious flaw, such as those you mentioned. It didn't come with a hardcase, which is fine since I plan to build one for it. The only thing "missing" is the hex wrench for the locking nut.

On a slightly related note, how long does one have to wait to be allowed to post photos? I've tried twice, and I can get the ones uploaded to the "preview" area, but when I try to post them to the actual forum I get a pop-up that says I'm not "authorized" to do so.
              JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by RatDog8o8 View Post

Thank you very much! The eBay seller stated that it was refurbished & "stickered" with a new SN, but they also stated that they could not identify the defect. I certainly can't find anything that is an obvious flaw, such as those you mentioned. It didn't come with a hardcase, which is fine since I plan to build one for it. The only thing "missing" is the hex wrench for the locking nut.

On a slightly related note, how long does one have to wait to be allowed to post photos? I've tried twice, and I can get the ones uploaded to the "preview" area, but when I try to post them to the actual forum I get a pop-up that says I'm not "authorized" to do so.
                You have to be a Platinum Member to post pic's. Most people use hosting sites that are free to post pic's.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

You have to be a Platinum Member to post pic's. Most people use hosting sites that are free to post pic's.
                  I figured that the $15 per year was well worth it; even if I don't post a ton of photos, the $$ will benefit the Forum in some small way.

So here's the photos direct, as opposed to a 3rd party site.

RR24 01.JPG RR24 02.JPG RR24 03.JPG
                  Last edited by RatDog8o8; 11-25-2022, 07:13 PM.
                  JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Odd that they didn't put the sticker on top of the old serial number.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                      Odd that they didn't put the sticker on top of the old serial number.
                      When I first got the guitar that's where the sticker was originally located, covering up the factory SN. But I got nosy, and wanted to see the factory SN, so I carefully peeled the sticker off and reapplied it just above the factory SN.
                      Last edited by RatDog8o8; 12-16-2022, 05:39 PM.
                      JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

I found the Tolex that I plan to use on the case for the RR24. Normally, I do black cases and either black or chrome hardware. This guitar just needs something a bit flashier.

Garnet Red Tolex
                        Red Garnet Tolex.jpg

The inside will most likely be red fleece
                        Red Fleece.jpg

I've already found a strap that's a decent match for the guitar, even though it's only 2 inches wide (I prefer 3 inch straps). But I can always find a slip-on shoulder pad for the strap.
                        JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                        X