X vs pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X vs pro

Just pulled the trigger on an X series but normally play pro. It's also made in Indonesia and for the life of me I can't see where they're cutting costs. I have pro Monarkhs and this is the special run SCX with gold hardware and EMGs. I'm pretty sure it's the same hardware and electronics used on the pros. I'm pretty sure it's the same knobs and bridge and tailpiece. The fretboard is rosewood and it has single ply binding and the tuners don't lock, but I think all that's negligible. Just wondering what the big difference is between the X series and the pro series nowadays since the pros fetch about $500 more usually. Are they using cheaper wood? Cheaper parts?
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

[comment was self-deleted]
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 12-22-2021, 05:16 PM.

Comment

And they're even made at the same factory.

Aside from what you mentioned, the Pros have:
      ebony fretboard
      oiled back of neck
      3-ply body binding
      body top
      fancier inlays
      matching headstock

I'm surprised that the cheapest Pro is "only" $800. I assume a SCX with EMGs is pretty close to that price. At a certain point all guitar manufacturers can do is fancier cosmetics to increase the price of a guitar. I always thought that X-Series was the best value. Of course we don't know if the mahogany and maple or electronics and hardware used in Pros is more expensive/better quality.

Comment

When the different tiers are coming from different factories differences make sense. When it’s the same place it may be more of an artificial tier. Not entirely unlike how the old X and Pro series were still MIJ but with different stock hardware. I can’t say if that applies here also, but it might.
        Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
        My collection also there!

Comment

Woods the same, as mentioned above

Aside from what you mentioned, the Pros have:
          ebony fretboard
          oiled back of neck
          3-ply body binding
          body top
          fancier inlays
          matching headstock

I wouldn't call those piranha teeth inlays fancy, but to each their own. Most people couldn't tell the difference between one and three ply binding, unless you actually have put binding on a guitar. JMO
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Pro models have a better floyd, if you go for a floyd guitar. The. Floyd special on X guitars suck hard! Had two! Both sucked!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I don't see much difference either. I've been upgrading hardware on my pro series Monarkhs. Have the white and black one now with Tonepros and Gotoh parts. Putting mxuteuk toggle switches on them. Ordered the upgraded X series in white that has EMGs. The gold hardware was almost chrome, the hardware was so rubbed off. But other than that the guitar plays and feels great. The fit and finish are as nice as the pro models. I'm replacing the hardware as well but that's just aesthetic. So after having that one for a week I've decided to pull the trigger on an MF-1 as well. I've been wanting one for awhile but was worried that since it was an X series it wouldn't be built as well as the pro models. But now I'm convinced it'll be a nice guitar, and has great MF EMGs in it as well. I considered the purple one and of course there's the $4000 USA one LOL .... nope, not for me. But I'm glad to be getting the black one. Going to upgrade it all to gold hardware as well, make it my own. I think it's going to look sick decked out in gold. Can't wait.
              My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Working...
              X