Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What pickups should I get?
    I see a couple Jackson Bridge pups for around
    $40 but I don't see any Mid and Neck pups.

For the Bridge, I like

Seymour Duncan =
    Black Winter
    Parallel Axis

DiMarzio =
    Evolution
    Gravity Storm
    Sayur8

No clue for Mid & Neck

Just shopping around so I can save some cabbage.

Thanks For Stopping By

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post

For the Bridge, I like

Seymour Duncan =
      Black Winter
      Parallel Axis

DiMarzio =
      Evolution
      Gravity Storm
      Sayur8

No clue for Mid & Neck

Thanks For Stopping By

This is basically what should be in your guitar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25510327856...AAAOSwfwphIaPb
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

For the Bridge, I like

Seymour Duncan =
        Black Winter
        Parallel Axis

DiMarzio =
        Evolution
        Gravity Storm
        Sayur8

No clue for Mid & Neck

Thanks For Stopping By

I swear if it were me I'd be looking for a J-80C or J-90C to put in the bridge position.

Comment

Thanks john.w.lawson
          With all the abhoration for eBay it never crossed my mind to search there.

Thanks Razor I'll learn some of this stuff eventually!!

Comment

The Luthier said he can fix and plug the neck, and plug the body, not a problem at all.

[ It is a small, 2 people owned Shop ]

The Tech guy knows the guitar, and knows the guy that had it before my Brother. Guy is a regular
            " Hang Around " at the Shop.

Before the C19 shti, this guy goes into the Shop and likes the excellent condition Red JSX, buys it.
            A few weeks later, guy paints it Black. Tries a different neck because he wanted a 24 feet Black guitar. Puts in a different bridge and White pups.
            He brings the guitar back and asks the Tech guy to fix the now cracked neck and see why it will not tune up.
            Tech tells the guy its because of the things the guy has done. Tech doesn't do major repairs but realigned the neck and tried to tune it.
            Guy sands off the Black paint that hasn't peeled off and takes neck off again. He tried to move it to a 24 feet scale length.
            So Guy and my Bro live a house apart. He gives it to my Bro because he doesn't want to fix it. My Bro mentions he got a Jackson that needs some work.
            my Bro and this Guy have some issues, and they live in a somewhat assisted living complex. Both are
            tinkerers.

That's a long story short background on how I ended up with it.

I know by the time it's back together and repainted
            I will have more $ in it than it could possibly be worth.
            But I will be learning the very basics of how these things go together and work.
            It will be a long and slow process, because I am funding this with whatever I can get in OT.

If ya made it this far,
            Thanks For Stopping By

Comment

The Luthier said he can fix and plug the neck, and plug the body, not a problem at all.

[ It is a small, 2 people owned Shop ]

The Tech guy knows the guitar, and knows the guy that had it before my Brother. Guy is a regular
              " Hang Around " at the Shop.

Before the C19 shti, this guy goes into the Shop and likes the excellent condition Red JSX, buys it.
              A few weeks later, guy paints it Black. Tries a different neck because he wanted a 24 feet Black guitar. Puts in a different bridge and White pups.
              He brings the guitar back and asks the Tech guy to fix the now cracked neck and see why it will not tune up.
              Tech tells the guy its because of the things the guy has done. Tech doesn't do major repairs but realigned the neck and tried to tune it.
              Guy sands off the Black paint that hasn't peeled off and takes neck off again. He tried to move it to a 24 feet scale length.
              So Guy and my Bro live a house apart. He gives it to my Bro because he doesn't want to fix it. My Bro mentions he got a Jackson that needs some work.
              my Bro and this Guy have some issues, and they live in a somewhat assisted living complex. Both are
              tinkerers.

That's a long story short background on how I ended up with it.

I know by the time it's back together and repainted
              I will have more $ in it than it could possibly be worth.
              But I will be learning the very basics of how these things go together and work.
              It will be a long and slow process, because I am funding this with whatever I can get in OT.

If ya made it this far,
              Thanks For Stopping By

If you want it back to spec's those pickup are as close as you can get and cheap. j80 or 90 leaves you needing two singles and are pretty pricey right now.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

If you want it back to spec's those pickup are as close as you can get and cheap. j80 or 90 leaves you needing two singles and are pretty pricey right now.
                John is right about the J80 and 90's being pricey. They do pair nicely with J100's. If this were a "forever" guitar then dropping the money is ok if you totally dig it and know it's a keeper.

If you're just gonna flip it down the road and use it as a "learning" experience definitely get the set or one like it that John linked on eBay. That's as cheap and easy as it will get.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

John is right about the J80 and 90's being pricey. They do pair nicely with J100's. If this were a "forever" guitar then dropping the money is ok if you totally dig it and know it's a keeper.

If you're just gonna flip it down the road and use it as a "learning" experience definitely get the set or one like it that John linked on eBay. That's as cheap and easy as it will get.
                  I have a JDR-94 with over 200. in blackouts. The pickups are worth more than the guitar lmao, for real though. He is on a budget and you can get a good sound out of them. amps, and racks (effects) and fingers do most of the work anyway. I've been thinking of pulling the blackouts out and buying a ps4 set and top hat knobs and selling all that. Necks really too thin for me anymore.

Comment

I have a JDR-94 with over 200. in blackouts. The pickups are worth more than the guitar lmao, for real though. He is on a budget and you can get a good sound out of them. amps, and racks (effects) and fingers do most of the work anyway. I've been thinking of pulling the blackouts out and buying a ps4 set and top hat knobs and selling all that. Necks really too thin for me anymore.
                    The Concept series is solid guitar especially for an entry level but you're right they've always been on the cheaper side especially considering they're MIJ. Then again as long as a guitar plays and feels good I don't see a problem in upgrading it.

I know what you mean with the thin necks. That's one thing that steered me away from Jackson to the Charvel Model series. I had a JRR-94 Concept Rhoads, RX10D Rhoads, a USA SL1, a USA Fusion, several DK2's and DX10D's. I can tolerate the DX10D neck now more than I could in the past but I'm just not a fan of thin wide necks. I love my Sully Raven tone and sound wise but I'm still trying to make myself like the thin wide neck. Add that to the fact I'm not a huge 24 fret neck fan and it's easy to see why I like my Chavel super strats.

Comment

For a bridge pickup I've had good luck with these:
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/20357787067...IAAOSwOlZhI6rF
                      I'm not sure how the distortion compares against the black winter or parallel axis. I like the J200R for neck and middle but they seem hard to find right now. If on a budget I'd consider that set John posted for the neck and middle paired with the Duncan Designed bridge. Could even give the Jackson bridge a go first and see if you like it.

Comment

Dak

Thanks for your input!!

I am going to order the set john.w.lawson
                        linked, tonight, if still available.

Comment

This is basically what should be in your guitar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25510327856...AAAOSwfwphIaPb

Ordered!!

Thank You!!

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

The Concept series is solid guitar especially for an entry level but you're right they've always been on the cheaper side especially considering they're MIJ. Then again as long as a guitar plays and feels good I don't see a problem in upgrading it.

I know what you mean with the thin necks. That's one thing that steered me away from Jackson to the Charvel Model series. I had a JRR-94 Concept Rhoads, RX10D Rhoads, a USA SL1, a USA Fusion, several DK2's and DX10D's. I can tolerate the DX10D neck now more than I could in the past but I'm just not a fan of thin wide necks. I love my Sully Raven tone and sound wise but I'm still trying to make myself like the thin wide neck. Add that to the fact I'm not a huge 24 fret neck fan and it's easy to see why I like my Chavel super strats.
                            They are not wider as they do feel wider. I've measured them and was quite surprised to find them the same as most guitars. 1-3/4 at the first fret and 2 at the 12th fret. Pretty standard. I don't think of any of the guitars you mentioned as thin, besides the two concepts. I've had or have most of the higher end stuff. the Dk-2 is fender and I would not call it thin and don't care for the feel of the one I had, could've been a one off(doubtful) but maybe.

Comment

Pickups arrived today.
                              They are really clean looking.

The plastic base is loose on both Single Coils, and the wires are still attached. There are brown spots that look like some sort of adhesive, but it is not tacky any more.
                              What should I use to reattach them?

Comment

you don't need to adhere them, when you mount them in your guitar they won't be loose anymore

Comment

Working...
                                X