Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK2 Pro quality issues and other weird stuff

Hi,
    I bought a new Jackson Pro Dinky DK2 at Thomann. It was advertised as new, not B-Stock. I found some cosmetic issues and some other weird stuff. It seems of no big concern, however I would like to hear insights from people with more experience.

This is the list of issues and weird stuff:
    • dirty fretboard
    • dunlop strap lock dirty
    • back covers look used
    • misplaced logo
    • neck angle
    • neck pocket crack
    • paint flaw - small dot
    • one screw in locking nut is not perfect fit for allen wrench
    • locking nut has shimming
    • tremolo arm is used
    • truss rod is harder
    Images can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vieng93hm...nz2QllpGa?dl=0

I was mostly worried about truss rod so I took the guitar to local shop and they say harder truss rod is nothing to be worried - some guitars have it like that. It is much harder than on Charvel I bought few years earlier. I made the neck flat and they say it can go to back bow, despite it is hard to turn. I do not need back bow, but it is wise to have some room if neck develops up bow with time.

Neck did not seem used from playing (unlike obvious tremolo arm). It had layer of dust/dirt only in the middle as pictures are showing. It seems it was not cleaned after the last sanding at the factory. Dust by my opinion is - wood dust after sanding. I had to clean each fret several times and pictures shows microfibre cloth after cleaning.

It does not seem used as whole guitar. It seems only some parts were used. But who knows... this is a weird case.

Neck pocket crack looks like crack in color, nothing deeper.

Neck angle does not affect desired string action, but I wonder if this is to be expected at this price range.

Other things as well - do not seems to fit in that price range and I would expect more precision. My Charvel does not have any of these peculiarities. I am awaiting reply from Thomann - they said they would offer discount for cosmetic stuff. If I decide to keep the guitar, I also want them to replace screw on locking nut, and also tremolo arm because it does not stay tight. When I use tremolo arm from Charvel on this Jackson - it is tight and works as expected. Tremolo does not look used and stays in tune as expected.

At the end of 2019 I returned Jackson Pro Dinky Okoume becuase it was in worst shape than this. I bought it from Austrian Klangfarbe. It had issues I was not willing to accept.

Recently I returned Baton Rouge acoustic for something I would not accept.

This time I am considering to keep the guitar with discount... but still asking questions.

I have searched and found that Jackson guitars sometimes have issues. One forum post sticks out so I will quote it:

They can run the full range of flawless, nearly flawless, acceptable, and downright unacceptable. The good ones are definitely worth the price tag, but the fact that you don't know what you're getting isn't encouraging.

It is a quote from this post: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...ackson.265799/

Have you seen this in other brands? Quality drop? Guitars come with used parts? Is this the new normal?

the cavity covers don't look used; in fact they look like they still have the plastic film on them.

also not sure if the tremolo arm looks used or not. is it the part where to coating look missing? how does the rest of the arm look?

regardless of the above I personally would not accept a "new" guitar with the finish flaws shown.

Comment

Yes, guitars come dirty. No one cleans these things before shipping them to the customer.
      As metalhobo mentioned, the back covers still have the plastic film on them.
      There's nothing wrong or used about the tremolo arm. They all look like that.
      Truss rods can be hard to turn or very easy. It doesn't matter or mean anything.

I personally expect some minor finish flaws on guitars, like the paint crack in the pocket. Neck pockets are usually were paint flaws show up. The flawed logo position is a weird one.

More concerning to me is the nut shim and neck angle. Unless the neck angle is a matter of turning some screws, I'd send it back. It's just a few too many flaws, and some are functional flaws. So several people at the plant screwed up on this guitar. On a neck with a misplaced logo AND too deep a nut pocket, they should have discarded that neck altogether.

Sad to see that this is going on at a Fender plant. But I'm not surprised. That's how business is done these, not just FMIC but this stuff happens with all brands. Quality control is borderline non-existent at factories and most retailers. I'm actually surprised someone bothered to install the nut shim. Quality control has been transferred to the customer. In turn, now customers can return anything for no reason.

I do wonder if this is a customer return. Not sure how businesses are handling the onslaught of returns. I don't think all products are marked as B-stock or blemished as they should be.

Comment

Yea, my guitar came in with like it was buried in the deepest depths of Tatooine. (Anakin's homeland) Remember, Anakin HATES SAND lol.
        My brand new car came in as filthy as shit too and the right passenger door was scuffed from their damn towing truck that delivered it.

Everything can be setup for a one flat fee, no guitar comes setup well under $1400 , that's like the most part of the labor, but that LOGO looks like shit so only reason I'd send it back. Make sure u mention that logo, so they don't send u another like that!
        Yea that crack in neck pocket looks fugly as well, but is bound to happen overtime.
        Last edited by DanzoStrife; 05-31-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
          Yes, guitars come dirty. No one cleans these things before shipping them to the customer.
          As metalhobo mentioned, the back covers still have the plastic film on them.
          There's nothing wrong or used about the tremolo arm. They all look like that.
          Truss rods can be hard to turn or very easy. It doesn't matter or mean anything.

I personally expect some minor finish flaws on guitars, like the paint crack in the pocket. Neck pockets are usually were paint flaws show up. The flawed logo position is a weird one.

More concerning to me is the nut shim and neck angle. Unless the neck angle is a matter of turning some screws, I'd send it back. It's just a few too many flaws, and some are functional flaws. So several people at the plant screwed up on this guitar. On a neck with a misplaced logo AND too deep a nut pocket, they should have discarded that neck altogether.

Sad to see that this is going on at a Fender plant. But I'm not surprised. That's how business is done these, not just FMIC but this stuff happens with all brands. Quality control is borderline non-existent at factories and most retailers. I'm actually surprised someone bothered to install the nut shim. Quality control has been transferred to the customer. In turn, now customers can return anything for no reason.

I do wonder if this is a customer return. Not sure how businesses are handling the onslaught of returns. I don't think all products are marked as B-stock or blemished as they should be.
          I would return it as well. The neck is probably shimmed as well to get correct string height. Now if it was old or cheap and needed work, it would be a different story.
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Thank you for your replies!

Tremolo arm is used because it does not stay tight. When I use tremolo arm from Charvel (4 years old) on this Jackson - it is tight and remains tight no matter what I do.

I personally don't mind any cosmetic flaws, not even logo. But that is a personal thing, we are all different.

I am exchanging emails with Thomann and I'll see what discount they will offer.

Thank you for the info - no guitar comes setup well under $1400. Somehow I thought it would be that way.... but I don't have much experience.

I will once again take guitar to local experts. I do not see neck angle as a problem but wrldeatr7 points it as something of concern, so I will double check. Action is now lower that recommended, about 1.2mm at bass side. I did it on purpose just to test how it goes - and it goes well. Bit of buzz so I will probably take it back to 1.5mm. Neck relief is as recommended. Neck is dead straight. Tremolo keeps tuning.

Comment

Some tremolos arms stay tight others don't. If it doesn't, wrap some teflon tape around the thread. I've had to do that to my 2 Japanese Pro models. I also can live with some cosmetic issues, and it's not like one sees the logo when playing. These days, it's always a good idea to find a seller who will do setups for a price, that way they can worry about whatever issues they find.

That neck angle is just so...unusual. Notice how the edge of the fretboard is right on top of the body. The shape of the neck heel must be really messed up if they can get it setup probably with that angle. But if it plays well in the end, and you can get a good discount from Thomann, why not.

Comment

Return it, that neck angle is completely wrong. The opposite would be ok (neck end slightly higher at the body) as you could raise the floyd to compensate. I also don’t like the paint chip in the green next to the nut, or the white crack there in the black binding. Shims under the nut are ok if they are thin as it allows some adjustment for your personal preference on string height at first fret, but this one has too many shims.

Comment

I was busy so here's a little late update on this. I went to local expert for examination and advice. He said the guitar is ok from functional standpoint, nothing to be worried about. I negotiated the price drop of 80€ with Thomann, and also they will send me new tremolo arm and nut screw.

All this time... and I cannot put this guitar down

I bought Charvel few years back and was amazed with the sound. Jackson sounds different and I would say thinner, which is to be expected from thinner neck (look for Warmoth video on YT for that subject). Few years back I would not be satisfied because I was looking for that specific sound, fuller sound. Now I value both Jackson has amazing playability and I've learned how to take best from each guitar. I am glad I purchased this guitar because now I have first hand experience that what matters is primarily - the player. Specific sound color is secondary and once you really play with feeling... no one will care what is frequency spectrum of your guitar. There has to be very specific purpose and then sound color is important and is noticeable, but mostly in rock & heavy it doesn't have that much influence. Yes yes... tone purists would disagree on this

Thank you all for your insights!

Comment

Glad it worked out and that you like the guitar, that's what matters.

Jacksons are great to play.

Comment

Working...
                    X