DXMG vs DK2X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG vs DK2X

I saw a DXMG with case on eBay. It has the original HiZ pickups. Seller wants £295 + postage. I could add an 81/85 set. that would cost an additional £300 including fitting + setup. On the other hand, I could buy a new DK2X. It won't have a case, but it already has active pickups installed. Which is the better choice?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Because no one is going to be confused by the name DK2... good job Fender.

If you insist on adding the 81/85 set, I would probably go for the new one. I don't see either being better than the other, but....
    1. cheap guitars may be nice when new and may remain nice when in the hands of an experienced player. but cheap guitars are often bought by parents for their children, who end up abusing them, and they've been past along every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the used market.
    2. the old one has the 580lp, which makes parts hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      I saw a DXMG with case on eBay. It has the original HiZ pickups. Seller wants £295 + postage. I could add an 81/85 set. that would cost an additional £300 including fitting + setup. On the other hand, I could buy a new DK2X. It won't have a case, but it already has active pickups installed. Which is the better choice?
      They are both cheap guitars. Just go to a site that sells china made guitars and get you a soloist for under 200. and replace what's shit on it.
      If fender can have something made for nothing why shouldn't you. Just don't stick them in your mouth, might have lead paint?
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I set-up a buddy's dxmg a while back. solid mij instrument. not as nice as the mij pro series, obviously. though I really don't care for the jt-580-lp bridge.

I think 300 pounds works out to like $400 usd, which in the us is maybe on the high side for a dkmg, though it does come with a case. if it's a good case it could be well worth it. and of course jackson prices are probably higher anyways across the pond.

you could get an active emg set used for way less than $200. try like $110-$125.
        Last edited by metalhobo; 05-29-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I'd go with the new one since I can't test the used one before I buy.
          If there's a return option on the used one I may need to rethink if I preferred it over the new.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
            I'd go with the new one since I can't test the used one before I buy.
            If there's a return option on the used one I may need to rethink if I preferred it over the new.
            Pre ordered today. August?! I hope these Jackson actives are good, or I will be angry.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I was expecting the Dinky/Soloist case to be around £150 like my Warrior/Kelly case was (bastards want £190 for that now?!). Nope, £83. I'd say that's a good price.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Can anyone confirm whether these are indeed equipped with active pickups, or just active electronics?
                Last edited by wilkinsi; 06-19-2021, 02:08 PM.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Can anyone confirm whether these are indeed equipped with active pickups, or just active electronics?
                  DK2X has Jackson high output active pickups

I believe the DKMG did at some point have a boost IDK I've had too many cheaper guitars to remember
                  I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

DK2X has Jackson high output active pickups

I believe the DKMG did at some point have a boost IDK I've had too many cheaper guitars to remember
                    Yes, the 2004/2005 version had the Turbocharger boost, but with EMG-HZ passive pickups. The 2006 version had real EMG's and no Turbocharger. The floyd was upgraded too. I would've liked the DKA-EX with Fishman Fluence pickups and carved/arch top, but all my nearest store can get is the white one. I think all the black ones might be sold out. I did think of getting a JS32Q and an EMG 81/85 set, but the store won't do pickup upgrades or setups anymore.

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

DXMG is different than a DKMG. Why are we talking about the DKMG?

Yes, the 2004/2005 version had the Turbocharger boost, but with EMG-HZ passive pickups. The 2006 version had real EMG's and no Turbocharger. The floyd was upgraded too
                      What change to the floyd did they make?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        DXMG is different than a DKMG. Why are we talking about the DKMG?

What change to the floyd did they make?

IDK I've never owned an X series anything. I just looked up the pickups info on the DK2X then got a brain fart...The DK2X did sound good on a video I watched but I wouldn't really want one., not because they are bad or anything. I'm sure their a good series of guitar.
                        Last edited by john.w.lawson; 06-20-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Well, I'm looking at Early August. First thing I'll do before I pay the balance is ask them to remove the battery and see if they still get a signal. If they don't, then those are definitely active pickups. If they do, I'm buying something else.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Well, I'm looking at Early August. First thing I'll do before I pay the balance is ask them to remove the battery and see if they still get a signal. If they don't, then those are definitely active pickups. If they do, I'm buying something else.
                            They have a battery slot in the back and no switch or boost knob. I would think they know what active means.

Comment

Its active Belcat pups, they've had those in a few GC limited run JSes before. From a production POV they'd use the exact same wiring harness as the EMG/Blackout/Fishman equipped one, just a different pup to plug in

Comment

Working...
                              X