NGD: Jackson Soloist Caribbean Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the support guys!

Update: So I opened up my blinds and noticed that the underside of my nut was jagged. And thats whats making the ping sound! here's a pic. I asked my luthier if I should buy a new OFR nut or get Amazon to refund me a difference. But,
    MY luthier (well renowned for big commercial bands) said he could fix the nut for me and don't worry about buying a new one. Usually he does these things without charge if I get a setup. I think the B string might be rolling around once in a while, but not sure

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post
      Excellent! ESP LTD has several guitars that compete with that and even have a similar fade, but I think Jacksons have a nicer fade on average.

I have two SL2 Pros and one of them came with noticeably sharp fret edges. No big whoop as it's only about $40 for a pro to file them! If I was brave and/or talented, I would file them myself, but I'm neither, so I'll take it someone soon.

I find that Curt Mangan 10-46 strings and Callaham springs were both worthy upgrades to mine. Nothing else planned!
      Yea, I think ESP has thicker paint to? I'm not so sure, but I feel the transparent finishes have a completely different kind of lacquer, maybe Nitro ? It surely feels different than the regular Polyurethane.

The fret ends might be too aggressively filed. The rolled edge comes in a slightly bit further in past the binding. My other lTD jh 600 stopped just before the binding. I have to be somewhat careful not to roll the string off the edge, even tho its spaced appropriately. Not that bad, just its bad form to bend and get awful pitch so its more of a penalty for bad form lol

Comment

Ok guys, my guitar is back from the famous luthier around here.
        Things I did

1. Plek

2. Push/Pull tone knob.
        3. Changed the knobs to Abalone
        4. Had the guitar looked over for tuning issues

Results:

Now i'm down to 0.7mm on the low E, the bridge is almost flush to the body, barely above sea level. Due to the plek, I could get as low as possible action. Dang this thing plays so good now!

The push pull knob single coil split is perfect on this guitar. I got the most convincing single coil bridge sound. I saw one demo of the SH6 Distortions being split and I was convinced. Take heed they sound really bright and twangy on headphones. I can get the perfect surf rock, 50s, Chuck berry, Green Day and Eve 6 sounds.

Back to metal. After getting my strings this low the humbucker was raised even more it looks. I am getting a lot more bass response, was the first impression. The thing is shaking shit around around CHUGGAH CHUGGAH and I gotta actually cut some bass cuz I had it maxed (I was not getting much bass response before)

I think the green lustrous knobs looks amazing on this guitar, it fits the ocean Caribbean theme.. Looks way better in person, can't stop looking at it. Too bad there's no abalone sharkfin inlays.

I was correct on the nut. The nut had jaggies had to be sanded, but he didn't need to replace the nut. The Floyd 1000 QC is kinda iffy, but this costed me nothing over the setup. As long as you're aware the nut needs some help for little cost or nothing, u should not avoid import guitars from Korea/Indo etc

Comment

looks sweet!

yeah the 1000 series bridges overall are quality (I've had like four of them and they're all great, one's going on 13 years of heavy use) but sometimes they need some TLC in comparison with the OFRs. I had to replace a saddle on one because it kept breaking strings.

Comment

That looks great and that low action, man. I've never had any issues with FRs 1000. Other than they always install the nut way high. I wonder if the PLEK job involved lowering the nut, since on non-locking nuts they cut out the nut slots as well.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              looks sweet!

yeah the 1000 series bridges overall are quality (I've had like four of them and they're all great, one's going on 13 years of heavy use) but sometimes they need some TLC in comparison with the OFRs. I had to replace a saddle on one because it kept breaking strings.
              Yep! A little TLC goes a long way. It actually bothers me MORE when people on the Jackson Guitar forum (not JCF) complain a good guitar has high action and minor issues (THEN RETURNS IT) that a setup would solve. You would think people have heard of a setup by now? I see these comments EVERY SINGLE DAY several times x daily at least there! Let's just say a USA and an MIJ is setup a bit better, but I would still say its not reaching its full potential unless pleked or leveled.

Obviously a $3000 guitar is gonna be better, but the difference is cost is much greater and not worth shitting on MII's which I have found good

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                That looks great and that low action, man. I've never had any issues with FRs 1000. Other than they always install the nut way high. I wonder if the PLEK job involved lowering the nut, since on non-locking nuts they cut out the nut slots as well.
                The man is so busy these days, so bands he works with are Joe Satriani band members, Social distortion, any big California band that came out of here u name it. The more big names that show up the more big names that show up again lol. He mentioned 8-10 guitars rolling out a day every single day is whats happening right now. He said he said when the plek is free he can access the screen, but he can't at the moment. I'm gonna have to ask him again later!

Comment

Working...
                X