Crooked Neck, Worn Serial, Broken Floyd Screw, help ID Used Jackson RR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chilipeppermaniac View Post
    Hi All, this is my first post here on the forum and yes I did do a bunch of searches for similar topics. Bear with me as I get acclimated to how and where to do things in here.

First off, the guy who sold me this guitar lives in New Jersey and had it for sale on Facebook Marketplace. 2nd, I arranged for him to meet up with a friend of mine in Jersey so he could pick up the guitar for me. I live in Maryland and will now go to my buddy's place in a couple weeks to get it.

So, I am getting all this information via my friend, John who has looked over the guitar and took additional pictures for me.

As pertains to the Title of this thread, I will begin with the Crooked Neck scenario. The seller told me he bought it new around 2010 or 2011. It has a couple chunks of missing wood his ad pictures showed on the long point and point tip of the Head Stock. I am linking the possibility the crooked neck happened when the impact caused the chip in the head. It could have shifted the heel of the neck in the pocket and thus caused the strings to drift toward the Low E side and farther inward on the high E side. Has anyone else had misaligned neck issues, whether impact causing it or even right from Jackson's plant and quality control?

I will post pics as soon as I upload them somewhere that has URL's since I just discovered that is how this site does it. Then I will address the Serial Number Neck Plate concern, and the Missing back cover and Floyd questions., Thanks
    hey chilli didnt know you were here nice to see you here.

ramo

Comment

Could've broke because the locking block was worn( they do wear) Or someone doesn't know how to put the strings in properly..

In a pinch id replace the screw because you can buy them in hardware or auto stores. But really I'd replace the whole saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Megametal7 View Post

hey chilli didnt know you were here nice to see you here.

ramo
        Nice to see you here too, R A M OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Originally posted by John-w-Lawson View Post
          Could've broke because the locking block was worn( they do wear) Or someone doesn't know how to put the strings in properly..

In a pinch id replace the screw because you can buy them in hardware or auto stores. But really I'd replace the whole saddle.
          Thank you John w Lawson

I now have the guitar in hand and home safely after I retrieved it from a pal who met up with the seller and took care of it while I handled a few weeks of family matters.
          This will be my first Floyd guitar and first Jackson. I am obviously, stoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechayoshi View Post
            Sorry I lost track of this thread from a few days ago. Glad the neck problem is fixed, as for the saddle? Would this work or did you already check it out? I’m not 100% but I found this because I had a stripped saddle on one of my JT-580s and it looks close.

https://www.allparts.com/collections...-2-or-5-saddle
            Thanks Mechayoshi, I ordered that part off ebay, thanks. Next will be to fix the neck alignment issue. My friend said he had it sorted, but when I picked it up, the neck was still crooked or got crooked agaIn.

I am researching the cause of this. My initial thought is despite the mounting screws being pretty darn tight, once I loosen them, the body and neck does have the slightest gap which can permit the neck to move under string tension. It looks like I will be plugging all 4 holes in the body, plugging the holes in the neck, then re-drill them once I shim and clamp the neck in proper alignment.

Last edited by chilipeppermaniac; 03-26-2021, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              Would love to read/see your story/photos after you repair the cosmetic dings. We occasionally get questions about different cosmetic repair methods and I'm forced to divulge my unsuccessful attempts.
              Number of the Priest.,, check out here till I get my pics loaded to imgur so I can load em here. It is hard to believe I have to take pics on my phone, load em from images to gmail., then from gmail to my hard drive, and then from hard drive to imgur just to post pics in a forum like this one. BUT I do it. I only have the last step to do. Oh yeah, don't let the "Tele" in the thread title fool you. It is my RR3 and an inside joke we have with Ramo there, Megaqmetal7 here. The repair shots begin on page 4 of this thread.

PS. Feel free to join our nice group over there too. We are a friendly bunch and all you guys are welcome.

https://www.thetonerooms.com/threads...ng-ramo.11287/
              Last edited by chilipeppermaniac; 04-03-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Here is my first day of application of an epoxy sculpting putty called Milliput. Milliput makes several formulations of the putty of which this one is the Black formula.

Last edited by chilipeppermaniac; 08-17-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Pic 2. Day 1. The Milliput only takes about 2-3 hours to cure hard.

Day 2

Comment

Day 2 continued.

Day 3

Comment

Day 3 cont.

Comment

Front view.

Comment

Here are some of the pics from where I set the neck straight and was checking for play in the neck pocket and movement around the screws from how big the holes are in the body vs how small the diameter of the screw shanks are.

Comment

I know it has been awhile since I bought this guitar and began to fix the body and neck. Progress report is that I put another layer of Milliput on the point and once it was hardened, I sculpted it with my razor blade. I removed the tape and the shape looks good. I will likely give it a sanding the clear coat off the entire body and blend in the body to the fixed area. Then it will be ready for paint. The Neck has stayed adjusted true for string alignment after installing the neck grommets.

Comment

Working...
                            X