Jackson sl2q mah opinions and upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson sl2q mah opinions and upgrades

Anyone bought an sl2q MAH made in indonesia? Any flaws or cons? Pickup upgrades?

I did own one briefly. I only got rid because I dislike satin necks. You shouldn't need to change the pickups as they are real Seymour Duncans. I didn't have any flaws in my guitar. It is worth buying a proper Jackson Soloist case for it too.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have an SL2Q MAH (emerald quilt maple top) and an SL2P MAH (poplar burl top). I am very particular about natural patterns, so I must confess I bought both based mostly on looks and had faith that they'd be up to par.

Strangely, they have very different necks. The neck on the SL2P is substantially thicker (thicker than your average shred neck), but it feels great and the guitar sounds awesome. Very beefy. It is at most a few years old, and I don't know if they have changed the neck profile since then (I had assumed all of the MII SL2s were the same....apparently not), but I bought a 2020 SL2Q and it has a very thin, superfast shred neck. It is noticeably brighter than the SL2P in spite of being the same general design, so I can only attribute that to the thinner neck and maple top. I am glad they have slightly different personalities as I don't like to duplicate guitars functionally/sonically, even if they look different.

I do have a substantial complaint about the SL2Q in that is the first guitar I've ever owned that have sharp enough fret edges that I've going to have to have them filed. They are sharp enough to be problem, but the SL2P's were fine. I don't mind because I totally dig the emerald top on this particular guitar and it sounds great, so a slight mod is no big deal. I expect plenty of the SL2s may have sharp fret edges, but the overall fretwork is excellent and edges can be fixed, so it's not a deal killer. I am still surprised because my MIM Charvel San Dimas has absolutely IMMACULATE, pro level frets....perfect and at a lower street price, too.
      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
      '90 Charvel 475 XL
      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
      X