First Jackson - Dinky DX10D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Jackson - Dinky DX10D

snagged my first Jackson . DX10D made in Japan. 2004 maybe according to the neck pocket. Basswood, which is super light and the fact the body is slightly smaller makes it really comfortable to play. Do jumbo frets make bends easier? I might have to go up a string gauge.
    This is a project guitar - I will swap out pickups. How good is the stock floyd rose system? I think I'm gonna change it out for a black one

Congratulations!

Stock trem on that would be a Jackson-branded JT580LP, made by Takeuchi. I don't mind them. An Original Floyd Rose is a direct and straightward swap, if you ever wanted to make that upgrade.

Jumbo frets should make fretting easier overall in theory (and most would say in practice), if you like how they feel and have a light touch. The taller the frets, the less your fingertips might brush the fretboard surface. Taking the concept to the extreme, scalloping the fingerboard simulates very tall frets.

Bigger frets also extend the overall life of the frets; as you wear divots in the fretwire over the years of playing, and you want to restore playability across the neck with fret leveling and crowning, that process will eventually erode the fretwire. Bigger frets means you can do more leveling and crowning (more metal available) before requiring a full refret.

Comment

If it is a project guitar - sand the neck. You don't want to take off any wood, because it has a great neck. But you want to get rid of that nasty coating they have on it.

Beyond that, it should have a JT-580LP. Those were (mostly) made by Takeuchi. They are nice.

Do jumbo frets make bends easier?
      First of all, you are now playing a Jackson. Jackson's fretboard radius makes bends easier. (so does a fresh lube job, if you bought it from a shop)
      But, yes, in theory, jumbo frets make it easier to bend. It is because there is more space between the string (when touching a fret) and the fretboard. Your fingertip doesn't get all smooshed up against the wood. Kind of the same as a scalloped board - finger doesn't drag on the wood because there is no wood. Which allows all that extra pressing you've grown accustomed to using to accidentally bend a string.
      Of course, these are just theories, because the proper technique is to stop pressing the string when it hits the fret. Any extra pressure bends the string out of tune, and also wastes finger energy. So, in that instance, bends would be just as prevalent.

Another "bend" possibility, is the tremolo. If you are not a tremolo user, you'll need to re-learn your bend technique on a tremolo guitar.
      One solution would be to add a spring, not heavier strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Vashuba View Post
        Do jumbo frets make bends easier?
        yes. less friction from the fingerboard

Originally posted by Vashuba View Post
        How good is the stock floyd rose system?

jt-580? as far as low-/mid-range licensed floyds go, it's okay. definitely serviceable.

edit: looks like two people already said the same things
        Last edited by metalhobo; 01-21-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          scalloping

Are you telling me we both pulled out the scallop example.
          Last edited by pianoguyy; 01-21-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Great minds think alike.

You went a step beyond though, with your radius example.

Comment

Vashuba

I recently got a DX10D FS R

IMHO the JT580LP Trem is fine.

I had thought about getting the Bridge P'up replaced with a Seymour Duncan Jason Becker Perpetual Burn TremBucker.
              Maybe Black Winter for the neck.
              what are you thinking of swapping to?
              Last edited by JJ119; 01-21-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

One of my first guitars was a DX10D. Ended up parting it out 15 years ago to pay for other guitars as demand at that time was insanely high for reverse sharkfinned Jackson necks. Very solid guitar for the money and I never had any issues out of the JT580LP that was on it.

Comment

well i do want to get a black tremolo so i'll prob sell the stock one. i would upload a pic but my account won't let the noob do it lol.
                  thanks for all the help

Comment

good call on the back on the neck,

Comment

Images need to be uploaded to an external host and linked back here.

Comment

how does the stock trim compare to a new Floyd rose special? those are only $100 but seems like a lateral move compared to the FR Original

Comment

Bout the same, maybe a little in the favor of the FRS.

Though I'd never buy a Special new, not when you can get a Gotoh Floyd for about the same price. GE-1996T goes for about a hundred bucks on eBay new, and 115-120 from a retailer

Comment

great- those GOtoh'a looks sweet, cosmic black might be calling my name. IT all depends on if I re-paint it

Comment

She's a Beauty!!

Congratulations on a Superb Find!!

Comment

Working...
                              X