Some old import Jackson thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some old import Jackson thingy

These days I am not supposed to have any NGDays anymore, but I guess there are always exceptions.
    I saw this old thing come up and decided it was worthy of ownership and to keep my first ever Charvel purchase from '93 company.
    It seems nice. Is it a JS32 or something like that?

Last edited by Genebaby; 12-26-2020, 07:20 PM.

I figured I would start cleaning it up and I had a spare Soloist case I got in 2004 that will do fine.

Comment

Happy NGD!!

Good find. I am interested in the outcome!

Comment

very cool. definitely not a js32. very interested to see what this identifies as

Comment

https://en.audiofanzine.com/stc-shap...rchtop-ltd-91/

https://www.vintageandrare.com/produ...Sunburst-44271

https://img.audiofanzine.com/images/...1991-83037.jpg
          My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Yes the guitar in the picture is a Jackson Soloist archtop limited from 1991. Very cool find.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have a 750Xl and do know what this guitar is, I was just kidding around, as I never thought I would see one of these, let alone get to own it. It is indeed a worthy addition to the collection.

Looking into this model again I saw that sometimes it gets referred to as a thru-neck, but just like the 750XL and the Soloist Archtop Pro after them, it's a a set neck.

The fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood and the inlays are not reversed. It's only now that I noticed that compared to the 750 and Soloist Archtop, which both feature reveresed inlays.

The binding is a nice touch, as are the inlays themselves.

It was pretty much stock as you can see, still has the Reflex pickups which I did have once before for a short time on a Soloist Archtop Pro that I sold and I remember liking them, so I don't see them being changed out.

The trem has seen better days so I am going to replace that with a new Schaller unit and then see how she goes. The 750 is in E with 10's and I'll try this one in E flat with 10s so I can maybe play it with the band. I don't know how people (Ace Frehley) can play a LP scale guitar with 9's and also tuned down half a step.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                Thanks guys, I have a 750Xl and do know what this guitar is, I was just kidding around, as I never thought I would see one of these, let alone get to own it.
                d'oh sorry

shame about the bridge. from your pics I thought it might not have come with it, but I guess you just removed it to clean the guitar up.

cun-grats!

Comment

No worries, this guitar is a bit of Jackson history and the trem is ok to use, it could just use a new one to freshen up the look before I start playing it. I'll keep the original parts.

The first picture with the 750XL is the day it arrived. Since then I've broken it down for a clean up, the frets were not the worst I've seen but do look better after a polish, and a clean and oil of the fretboard.

I have a trem on the way so hopefully I'll be setting it back up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                    No worries, this guitar is a bit of Jackson history and the trem is ok to use, it could just use a new one to freshen up the look before I start playing it. I'll keep the original parts.

The first picture with the 750XL is the day it arrived. Since then I've broken it down for a clean up, the frets were not the worst I've seen but do look better after a polish, and a clean and oil of the fretboard.

I have a trem on the way so hopefully I'll be setting it back up soon.
                    oh, weird, I only see the picture in the second post with the guitar stripped down.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

oh, weird, I only see the picture in the second post with the guitar stripped down.
                      Really? Oh, that's crap. I can see it fine, maybe nobody else could see it either?

I picked a bad day/time to start this thread maybe. Imgur was having huge problems so I figured I'd attach the pic via the board, and after many times telling me I couldn't post attachments it went through, twice!!

When I decided to add the second pic, stripped down in the case, it just would NOT let me attach it, so I did that one via Imgur.

I really figured that a board attached image would be visible to everyone, weird.

I've redone the first pic via Imgur so hopefully you can see it now.

Not being able to see it doesn't make the post work too well.

Comment

Wow, blast from the past seeing your name Genebaby! Nicest JS32 I've ever seen. Welcome back and killer score!

You know what? Until I saw your second pic, I hadn't realized these had half abalone, half mother of pearl sharkfins. What a killer touch!

Comment

Hey, good to see you too NOTP! The guitar aquisitions are more rare these days. I did get an SDX Jackson with some upgrades four years ago that I dig the vibe of very much. It's due for a SS fret job and setup this year so I can start playing it too.

I did know about the half/half inlays, it was in the scriptures, I mean, literature of the day, LOL. But I wasn't paying attention to the non-reversal and the recessed Floyd either compared to the other Archtops from this time. The binding is a cool too. They really did go all out on this baby, but with the recess she will feel a bit dfferent, plus the different thickness, I can tell it will be lighter already.

I'm looking forward to cranking this baby through the Marshalls.

Comment

I've decided to give the original trem a go and keep her all original, so I put it back together and then assembled the guitar.

It's on 10's in E Flat so I've given the rear springs a bit of a turn and now I'm letting it settle for a bit to get used to this new setup.

I couldn't remember but it turns out the Reflex pickups are active, or at least they won't work without a functioning battery. There is a little black box insicde the cavity, not exactly sure what it does, there are no dip switches or anything on it. The wiring looks complicated, I'm glad I don't have to mess with it.

The pickups sound good like I remember, though I've seen a few people say they didn't like them. They seem to go ok for now and no matter, I'll keep them in this guitar.

Comment

Nice thingy you've got there, Vic!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X