Another what exactly do I own here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another what exactly do I own here?

Apologies in advance if this ground has been covered too many times already but for 10 years I have been trying to identify my Jackson?

I bought it from a guy in the USA around the year 2010, who had in turn picked it up used some years before in a second hand store. He was convinced that it was some sort of prototype. The back of the headstock is stamped USED and there is a sticker on the chrome backplate with the serial number SH 213175, above which is the made in Japan sticker, I presume that there is a number under the sticker but I never wanted to remove it because I wanted it to remain as intact as it probably was as it left the factory in Japan! :-)

I know very little about guitars but I am presuming that the top pickup is a genuine lipstick pickup? All I know is that the tone sounds amazing and I have never been able to find an image of one with the same configuration, the closest I have come is the Surfcaster SC4.

I am hoping that somebody here at the JCFonline might know what it is that I actually own.

I have tried to add images as above, thanks

Last edited by chris billington; 11-17-2020, 07:36 PM.

Jackson Surfcaster

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ja...UaAjokEALw_wcB

Comment

Thank you Razor, yes the SC4 is the closest that I have found, the body style is similar but the pickups are different, and set on the guitar completely differently, also the bridge is not the same at all either, I am wondering if it was a one-off custom or a prototype?

Comment

the 'used' stamp means it is a factory defect

Comment

Thanks pianoguyy, yes I did read that they stamped factory defects and also prototypes and experiments that they did not want to find their way into the retail chain, as I have yet to come across an identical model I am inclined to think, and hope, that it is the latter :-)

Comment

Jackson Outcaster OC1 from 1996

Comment

Thank you so much!! I have never come across the model before, so now I know it is an Outcaster, I like that! So what about the serial number, as I understand it the fact that it starts with a 2 would /should indicate that it was made in 92' predating the model launch by several years, could it have been a early prototype? It certainly doesn't have any defects that I am aware of, not that I would know anyway, all I know is that it sounds fantastic.

You have made my day pianoguyy, now I am wondering why I didn't join this wonderful forum before now!

Comment

Your serial number IS A STICKER.
                Don't waste time looking at the serial data we have posted, it is for legitimate serial numbers - and no where else on the entire world wide web has valid serial data unless they copied it from here. Even the sites with bogus serial data don't store sticker data.

Comment

OK! so after all of these years I have just now removed that sticker, and there is simply a blank plate underneath - so it would seem that I own a factory reject, yet amazing sounding, 1996 Outcaster, which somebody for whatever reason had made up a serial number, had it printed on a sticker and stuck it on my guitar.

At least now I know what I own, thanks for all of your help pianoguyy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by chris billington View Post
                    which somebody for whatever reason had made up a serial number, had it printed on a sticker and stuck it on my guitar.
                    You sound unconvinced?
                    This has been common practice for decades, and I expect the serials are recorded somewhere to show authenticity, but perhaps not.
                    The flaw may've been fixed, or so minimal you may not find it.

I haven't checked in a while, but ebay used to have many manufacturer refurbished Jacksons. The stickers were orange with black numbers in recent years.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yea, the original serial are sanded out and the new one pasted over it. Its more gold-ish than orange though on mine

Comment

Here's a recent one on a neck thru.
                        https://www.ebay.com/p/4036803324?iid=233745022549
                        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                        X