How to Identify My Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Identify My Guitar

Hi Everyone, I just picked up a used Jackson. Emailed their support with my serial number to just find out that they think it's a 96 MIJ guitar, but don't have any details as when Fender bought them they didn't get a history from them. That being said, the serial number is 9693573. I'm really looking to find out what model I purchased, the model of the FR as one of the saddles is black and looking to get a chrome replacement for it and what pickups are in it. The bridge one says Duncan Designed on it but would like to know the model. It has a reverse headstock with fin inlays and a blade selector switch too if that helps. I paid $200 CDN for it with a hard case (not jackson) stand and strap.

Forgot to mention, it's blue with like a maple pattern to the top and sold black on the back

Comment

Sounds like a DX10D. Pictures will be worth a thousand words...

Comment

Here is a link to Google Photos with pics of it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g9jNB93N3Ynp91Pg7

Comment

Yup, 2002-3 DX10D Dinky and the trem is a JT580LP.
          They were made in Japan and that serial format ran in sequence. They hit 9700000 in '02-3.

The neck pocket would have date/model stamps.
          Fender bought Jackson in '02, but they can be totally clueless in regards to Jacksons EVEN the models they made.

The 2003 catalogue says HB103B and HB103N pickups.

Great deal for $200.
          That finish would've been in the $500 ballpark without case back then I expect.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Mudlark Thanks for that... mine starts with 96xxxxx so I would assume 01-02 maybe if they hit 97 in the year range you posted. I'll be changing the strings when I order a new saddle for the high "e" string, that black one is driving me nuts looking at it, so I'll pull the neck at that time and look for any markings. Thanks again.

Comment

2001 would be made in India, 01xxxxxx serial.
              The X series moved to Japan for 2002.
              My list has 9686xxx stamped Oct. 2002 and 9693xxx Mar. 2003.
              It's not uncommon for the numbers to get a little wonky, so if your date stamps said 2004 it wouldn't be a shock.

Though, the numbers are reasonably consistent.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That looks great. The flame maple top is a thin veneer, not a true slab of maple, but at least it's still technically real maple and therefore can run the gamut of attractiveness, similar to the way Les Paul tops can range from unspectacular to highly flamed/quilted.

The Strat-style control knobs aren't original; chrome metal dome knobs would have been stock. Also, I suspect the neck pickup has been changed due to the absence of the Duncan Designed logo. Next time you remove all the strings, I'd be curious to unscrew the pickup ring and look under the pickup baseplate to confirm what brand/model it is, along with removing the neck to check for date stamps as Mudlark suggested.

Make sure you order the correct saddle. The 1st and 6th saddles have the lowest height, the 2nd and 5th saddles have a medium height, and the 3rd and 4th saddles are the highest, all to accommodate a radius, so "not just any saddle will do". Or, order a full set of six. Or, an Original Floyd Rose is a direct drop-in replacement that requires no routing/modifications if you ever decide to replace the whole bridge.

C$200 with hardcase (even a generic one, usually a Yorkville brand case as they are ubiquitous here in Canada) is a great deal. It's getting harder to find Japanese Jacksons at that price in Canada after about 2019 and certainly during the COVID-19 era, at least in my daily observations spanning the past 4.5 years, when these days Canadians are listing their budget guitars at C$400 on Kijiji across the country,

Comment

Here in Australia you'd be lucky to find a MIJ Jackson under 900, with 700 being the sweet spot where most stuffs are sold. There's a slightly dinged up Crimson Swirl KE3 right now for 300 with no takers that I'm really tempted to buy if I wasn't setting money aside for a KV2 (2.2k)

Comment

Hi All, Great info from everyone.. I took my guitar apart and found the date code in the neck pocket and on the neck, both say Jun 10 2003 and DX10 for serial number 9693573. Since there is no MIJ sticker on it, can I still assume that it's a MIJ guitar?

Here is link to the date code in the neck pocket:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3EZB8QyeYrqZScsr7

As for the question on the neck pickup, I can only assume the Duncan Designed logo wore off as the bottom of the pickup confirms that its a HB103N:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jm3HBEoVvmncxuLS8

Saddle was replaced with the correct #1 saddle:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpinX2d5eH6NRC2M8

New knobs were also ordered and installed to replace the strat ones:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1UistJveRRtRwvRB8

Next time I replace the strings, I'll give it a good polish to get the swirls out.

Comment

Cool.
                      I've theorized the bodies and necks are stamped
                      and then the time before the serial plate is attached can vary from days/months to years in extreme cases.

Comment

Yes, the 9xxxxxx format serial number is your biggest indicator that it is still a Japanese Jackson.

Nice job documenting your date stamps and ordering/installing parts with the stock look. Thanks for confirming your neck pickup! In your final photo, I think you might have reinstalled it "backwards"; note that all your other photos show the screw polepieces facing the neck (normal) while that final photo shows the screws pointing toward the bridge, unless you were aiming for the Peter Green Les Paul "screws toward the bridge" neck pickup

Comment

Number Of The Priest good catch...I was tired when putting it back together and messed up....next string change...correction time...have to take it out anyway to polish it as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X