Jackson Wildcard SL27 EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Wildcard SL27 EX

Hi all. Seldom post in here but I'm finally getting a new Jackson guitar hopefully by end of the October (as was told by the dealer). My last brand new guitar purchase was back in 2010 (Mayones Regius) so yay am definitely looking forward to this one

Love the specs. Coincidentally I've placed a masterbuild quote back in 2013 with very similar specs (except with mahogany body wings and MOP sharks / logo, in pearl white finish) but the price came back to be around $4.5k usd plus shipping (Ard Aud$5500 with stronger A$ then) and a min 2 years wait. Can't justify spending that much then and settled for a used Caparison TaT special which has very similar specs with what I wanted.

Fast forward 2020, just sold the tat special start in April, miss it heaps and was actually looking at buying another tat special until this came up. Saw the ad on FB around August and wow couldn't believe the specs, checked with my local Jackson dealer on where it's made (Korea, believe to be WMI) and put down a deposit within a week.

For the last few years I've seen NAMM photos that MB Joe Williams did a series of pieces like these and I absolutely love them. How things pan out eventually that I'm finally getting one (though an import production model) and very excited. with MB orders closed to the public now it'll be near impossible for me to grab a Jackson spec'd like this.

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...-ex/2918329557

TL;DR, who else has this on order?
    Last edited by jahosy; 09-25-2020, 09:14 PM.

Congratulations!!

That one would be my choice, too, but unfortunately
    not getting one. Maybe next time.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
      Congratulations!!

That one would be my choice, too, but unfortunately
      not getting one. Maybe next time.
      thanks mate

used prices for these in a few years time will be too good to refuse I reckon!

Comment

Damn, that is one spec'd out import.
        That's the first German OFR I'm aware of in Jackson import history.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          Damn, that is one spec'd out import.
          That's the first German OFR I'm aware of in Jackson import history.
          I believe they had them in the very top end models when they were closing the Japan shop i cant remember what they were called. Or maybe i am mistaken.

Edit: It was the Elite series in 2012 i believe and they were a limited run of Soloists and RRs and KVs.
          Last edited by ed; 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

it feels like the MIK pro series are equivalent to what was then the MIJ imports in the 90's. price wise still seems a bit on the high side but if the quality is as good as the MIJ (which I've so far been pretty impressed with guitars that came out of WMI) then I'll be a happy chappy. we shall find out soon

Comment

If you can when you get it make a full review and take loads of pictures please

Comment

I voiced this sentiment in the other thread (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...0016-wildcards) but I think it's way overpriced, espcially when you consider ESP has MIK models at which the value should be comparable (specifically the LTD M-I Custom 1987) for less than $1100. I don't say this in order to compare the features of the two models or say you should buy one or another, but just to highlight the unwarranted difference in pricepoint. obv. if you want an HS guitar with 27 frets you wouldn't consider the LTD. but as far as the retail price goes, they're both MIK, neck-thru, sparkle/metallic finish; same woods, same shape approximately, same construction, same binding, no case. main differences being the 27 fret aspect, pickups/electronics (LTD is one hum plus an EMG PA-2), bridge (LTD has 1000-series Floyd), tuning machines (Jackson has Gotohs). do those things justify an $800 difference in price between two brands/lines (LTD, jackson professional) which are in direct competition? I'm just at a loss as to how they arrived at the $1900 price point. I don't mean to rain on your parade, OP, I hope you really enjoy this instrument. it's just confusing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post

I believe they had them in the very top end models when they were closing the Japan shop i cant remember what they were called. Or maybe i am mistaken.

Edit: It was the Elite series in 2012 i believe and they were a limited run of Soloists and RRs and KVs.
                  I remember those being the 1000 Original Series FR's, but I too may be mistaken.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    I voiced this sentiment in the other thread (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...0016-wildcards) but I think it's way overpriced, espcially when you consider ESP has MIK models at which the value should be comparable (specifically the LTD M-I Custom 1987) for less than $1100. I don't say this in order to compare the features of the two models or say you should buy one or another, but just to highlight the unwarranted difference in pricepoint. obv. if you want an HS guitar with 27 frets you wouldn't consider the LTD. but as far as the retail price goes, they're both MIK, neck-thru, sparkle/metallic finish; same woods, same shape approximately, same construction, same binding, no case. main differences being the 27 fret aspect, pickups/electronics (LTD is one hum plus an EMG PA-2), bridge (LTD has 1000-series Floyd), tuning machines (Jackson has Gotohs). do those things justify an $800 difference in price between two brands/lines (LTD, jackson professional) which are in direct competition? I'm just at a loss as to how they arrived at the $1900 price point. I don't mean to rain on your parade, OP, I hope you really enjoy this instrument. it's just confusing to me.
                    no worries mate, all good

yes I've the same thought when I saw the price, it seemed too high for an import and low for a masterbuild (spec wise)

Contacted the local Jackson dealer and confirmed therell be less than 150 per design, and MIK, no idication of which factory. it's all speculation that it's WMI purely based on the price.

Even now it still baffles me that they're charging this much for an import. I've got a Mayones Regius CS order back in 2010 that's only about a few hundred more than the SL27. Saying that, I figured its probably the only way I can own this spec without going thru the masterbuild route (which is impossible to even get in) And even looking around used gear, people are asking more for a used SL2H at the current climate.

What finally convinced me is that I won't be selling this anything soon. so yes it'll probably depreciate pretty quickly but here's hoping the quality is on par with MIJ ones and I'll be happy to keep it for as long as I'm able!

wish me luck

Comment

Its speculated to be WMI because one of the image Fender forgot to photoshop out the serial, which started with a KWJ, which presumably stands for Korea WMI Jackson following the Fender/Jackson serial number format.

I briefly considered the idea, but given that Jackson's RRP for the Pro Series is like 2.5k AUD, these are going to be like 3.5-4k. At that point I'd rather just go all the way and get a USA Select model for 5k.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumbling View Post
                        Its speculated to be WMI because one of the image Fender forgot to photoshop out the serial, which started with a KWJ, which presumably stands for Korea WMI Jackson following the Fender/Jackson serial number format.

I briefly considered the idea, but given that Jackson's RRP for the Pro Series is like 2.5k AUD, these are going to be like 3.5-4k. At that point I'd rather just go all the way and get a USA Select model for 5k.
                        ah missed the serial number. good call.

Grabbed mine from Soundcenter in Perth at A$3099, includes foam case and postage. Thought that's a decent price for the specs. Personally I'm only interested in the SL27, and wouldn't fork out this much for the other two wildcard models. ETA end Oct 2020.

I'll probably still order a custom select in the future. need a king V / warrior with reverse headstock at some point

Comment

Seems like Perth is the place to be for Jackson, I check Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace country wide everyday and all the good stuff shows up in Perth. Checking the soundcentre price, I guess that's why. KVXMG are like 1400-1500 everywhere else.

I just want a TOM/Hardtail King V that isn't faux-vintage-y like the Scott Ian signature, the KV2T or the current KVT. Might spring for a custom select if one doesn't pop up on the regular line. Do you know if any of the Australian dealer do Custom Select or do I have to sort it out through a US Store?

Comment

Not too sure about who's the Jackson dealer here. I'd think Billy Hyde might be one (they did organise a meet and greet with Marty Friedman via Jackson when he was in Melbourne last year) but was thinking of contacting Soundcentre myself. Will keep you in the loop on this.

Edit:
                            Yes, Soundcentre Perth will submit CS request. Speak with Oli and he'll sort you out. He's a big Jackson fan so definitely knows he's stuffs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=643s&v=x0Dgb86HwUE

Here's Oli's interview with Mike Shannon after NAMM 2019
                            Last edited by jahosy; 09-29-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jahosy View Post
                              it feels like the MIK pro series are equivalent to what was then the MIJ imports in the 90's. price wise still seems a bit on the high side but if the quality is as good as the MIJ (which I've so far been pretty impressed with guitars that came out of WMI) then I'll be a happy chappy. we shall find out soon
                              Do report back when you get it! By the way, MIJ imports from the '90s - which have you had to compare?
                              It would be a tall order for a MIK to be on the level of the early '90s models, which are comparable to the USA models of the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X