97 Jackson Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Jackson Dinky

Recently found a 1997 MIJ Jackson Dinky for sale, I have never been a Jackson owner but have always been a huge fan on the brand and their products. I was just wondering if anyone could provide some insight as to whether or not this is a high quality instrument as Ive seen mixed reviews online about late 90s Jackson’s. I don’t want to drive quite aways to pick it up if it is not worth it. The guitar is all original; piranha inlays, emg 81/85 pickups and some kind of Floyd rose. It was offered to me at 550$.
    Thanks in advance

new member wasn’t quite sure where to post this question...

no one can help you with the information provided.
    but i will say this....

is it a 1997? or does it have a serial that starts with 97?
    there is a difference. and it is a common error.

Comment

The owner claims it’s a 1997, the serial number also starts with 97. What information would be helpful to identify the guitar other then the serial number which when looked up said 97 or 07.

Comment

Originally posted by Dontwatchthat View Post
        The owner claims it’s a 1997, the serial number also starts with 97..
        The owner doesn't know shit, or worse - is intentionally lying.

What information would be helpful to identify the guitar
        pictures would always be a good place to start

other then the serial number which when looked up said 97 or 07.
        With a few exceptions, serial numbers don't tell us models or dates. But there are some people who have logged so many serial numbers, that they can give you an approximate date range.

Comment

What's the full serial number? And a picture of the whole guitar would help.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yea I’m begging to suspect the owner might be lying... the serial is 9790843 and pictures can be seen https://reverb.com/ca/item/113712-ne...-special-black

Comment

That's a DKMG. If I remember right, those came along in the early 2000s.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Have you got any experience with them? The guitar is in almost perfect condition and is up for grabs at 550$ but I’m not sure if I should try and hold out to see if a better deal comes around.

Comment

This DKMG would have been from 2006-2011 due to the presence of active EMGs, minus the EMG Turbocharger (gain boost circuit). The pre-2006 variant had passive EMG-HZ pickups and the presence of the EMG Turbocharger circuit.

The seven-digit Japanese serial numbers are never indicative of the date of manufacture. I wish Jackson never used 97xxxxx, 98xxxxx, and 99xxxxx for their serial numbers for this era of Pro Series and MG Series guitars.

If you want it, get it. Otherwise I would recommend waiting for a better deal; $550 is on the higher end for what is/was a ubiquitous, easily found, common guitar.

Comment

I had suspected DKMG when OP said "piranha". That's not usually something people misstate. Pictures confirm it.
                    But, more importantly, the ad that was posted says it is a DKMG. It even gives the official model number. Ok, sure, no one knows model numbers, but it was the first result in my google search.

As to my own personal experience -
                    I had one. But my unit was cursed. I have talked to 3 of its owners, and I make 4. Everyone hated it.

Now, outside of the one cursed unit;
                    the guitar will have a much thicker neck than other Jackson guitars.
                    It will also be heavier.
                    And, not many Jackson guitars are archtop.

That shouldn't stop you from buying it. But I find it not to be representative of the familiar Jackson specs. And, since this is your first Jackson, I wouldn't want you getting the wrong impression.

Comment

Working...
                    X