Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Series w/ Alder Bodies

Howdy,

Long-time Jackson player and forum lurker - finally joined.

I had a quick question about the 2003 (and possibly earlier) X Series Japanese imports. I recently picked up a MIJ 2003 WRXT, and that year's catalog shows that all the X Series models had alder bodies.

So my question is, does anyone know what about the X Series models from that year makes them X Series instead of "Pro"? I also have an RR3 (Pro) from that year. Both come with DD pups, a JT580LP trem and alder bodies. The only thing I can think of is maybe they select the lower-quality cuts of wood? I can't tell much of a difference in the body wood, but I will say the rosewood on the neck of the WRXT seems to be a beautiful piece of rosewood.

Any ideas? I'm stumped. I can't see or sense any obvious differences in craftsmanship. I know subsequent years saw the X Series get basswood bodies and the JT500 trem.

I also have a WRXT like yours (but from 2002). From that era, there was the WRXT (X Series) and the WRMG (MG Series). I'm partly surprised there was no Pro Series version, although not so much when I consider that both those Warriors were basically identical in build quality and similar components.

In that era, the lines were really blurred between the X Series, Pro Series, and MG Series, especially since they were all made in Japan with the same build quality and components,

An example of the confusion: The DXMG is officially an MG Series guitar but the "DX" portion of the name hinted that it was from the X series and a step below other Dinkys in the Pro Series like the DK2.

It was a funny era but I would not bat an eye at any model from that time period.

I probably didn't answer your question (I'm not even sure it can be answered) but it's fun to reflect back on those particular guitars.

Comment

Thanks, Priest. I guess the question wasn't exactly answered, but I certainly do appreciate the input. It is fun to comb through the back catalogs and see what design/product decisions they've made over the years. I only wish the catalogs available online didn't skip years or have incomplete info!

As an update, I've been playing this X Series Warrior more after upgrading to a fat brass block and 'proper' high output pup (DiMarzio D-Activator). While it could be placebo effect from knowing it's an X Series, the body doesn't seem to resonate quite like my other Pro series. I thought that might change after the block upgrade (all my other ones have the fat brass block, so I wanted to compare apples to apples), but the body resonance seems notably weaker. Also, the JT580 doesn't stay in tune, even with only modest divebombs! The guitar is in excellent condition and was certainly not abused (great frets, minimal hardware corrosion). I even swapped the locking nuts with ones that I *knew* were good and the thing still went out of tune.

So maybe they did select factory imperfect trems and/or lower-quality cuts of wood during that period? Not an accusation, merely speculation. Could just be this one was a dud.

Good thing this one came with a return policy. Shame, because I found the Warrior shape super balanced and comfy to play in any position. Maybe when I decide to spring for a USA it'll be a WR1 and not the KV like I'd always envisioned.

Comment

Working...
      X