Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help identifying Jackson guitar!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identifying Jackson guitar!!

Hello,

I am currently being offered an allegedly japan made Jackson Kelly KE3 (cant even confirm KE3 is the actual model).

It has dot inlays. Nowhere does it show the origin country. No tone knob. Licensed floyd rose. Regular pick ups, brand not shown. Serial# is stamped on the plate, 99085037, and thats it. No information behind the headstock.
    Seller states it was purchased in the year 2000.

According to all the research I did (which was very confusing) an 8 digit serial number should not belong to a japanese made.

Any information that can be provided would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

A KE3 would have sharkfin inlays and not dots. If it says Professional on the headstock, then it would be Japan and a KE4, but it should be a 6-digit serial number.

With an 8-digit serial number, seems like it was made in India, from what I remember.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks very much for the response!

Here is a picture, not sure if the link works tho

https://ibb.co/QP0Rz9X

https://ibb.co/xLykMc9

https://ibb.co/1d7rySj

extra info: I emailed jackson about the serial number, and they stated since fender purchased it they do not have any info from serial numbers older than 2007.
      Checked catalogues, could not find it

Comment

I agree with Toejam, if it were a KE3 it would have sharkfins. The dot inlays makes me think it is some version of a standard but I would expect to see Professional on the headstock. And I'm not an expert on this, but why does the neck plate only have a serial number? Is it common for older models like these to not have "Jackson" engraved into the neck plate also?

Comment

It's definitely not Japanese with the way the 12th and 24th fret dots are spaced far away from each other.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There are a handful of 90s era Kelly’s on Reverb. This guitar just does not match up well to anything. Ore like close, but no cigar.

The rear pic is most troubling. It looks close, but it feels “off”.

All of the bolt-on Kelly’s on Reverb have Jackson branded neck plates.

The tremolo cavity looks off. It is more centered where the ones on Reverb look more offset.

The control cavity looks cramped on the body and too short.

The listings with dot inlays on Reverb are either Performer or Professional series, but none of them display those really wide dots at the 12th and 24th.

I am thinking this might be a parts mutt, possibly with a counterfeit neck?
            Last edited by CaptNasty; 10-02-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X