help identifying a Jackson RR Made in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identifying a Jackson RR Made in Japan

I just bought a Jackson Randy Rhodes off of Craigslist, and I would like your help in identifying it. The seller said that he thought it was a 1998 RR3, but he got it second-hand. Can you all tell me more about this guitar? (I am planning on keeping it--I have always wanted a Jackson Rhodes, but I would like to know more about it.)

This might be for a different thread, but I am having a hard time keeping the guitar in tune. I just put on new strings, but I think that my next step would be to take apart and clean the Floyd Rose. If you have any suggestions and/or links for doing this, they would be appreciated also.

​
    ​
    ​
    ​
    ​
    ​
    ​
    ​​​​​​​

Embarrassed--Rhoads

Comment

Your pics aren't working.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

2006-11 RR3 in green swirl. One of the rarer finishes. Serial number does not indicate year of manufacture. To find the precise year/month/day of manufacture, disassemble the neck from the body and look for date stamps on the neck heel and in the neck pocket.

If the tremolo (JT580LP) is clean and the knife edges and trem posts are in good condition, the trem should stay in tune after a proper setup. Because you put on new strings, that is likely the culprit. Stretch your strings thoroughly, ensure the bridge baseplate is parallel with the body, and you should go through the "string break-in period" pretty quickly and achieve tuning stability faster than if you didn't do all the above.

Comment

Thanks, Number of the Priest, for the good info. Is there any way to narrow down the year using the serial number? There seem to be a number of posts on this site about serial number dating, but I am not sure what is the "official" information.

I did take the Jackson tremolo off, totally disassembled it, and gave it a good cleaning with 3-in-1 oil. There wasn't a lot of gunk or rust--it was fairly clean. However, the knife edges appeared to be somewhat mangled. Also, the bushings were loose (could be lifted out with fingers) and the posts wiggled in the bushings.

In any case, I re-installed the bushings with a little paper and wood glue, and I used some teflon plumber's tape on the post screws to stop the wobble. It still isn't keeping pitch very well, even though the strings are thoroughly stretched. It also sounds a little dull, but that could just be my ear.

Once upon a time I owned a 90s RG with an original Edge that kept fabulous tune, and I would love to be there with this guitar. Any thoughts about replacing the tremolo? If I do, is this an R3 nut?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comment

The serial indicates '08-'09. 9830xxx was Oct/'08 and 9835xxx was Jan/'09.
            An OFR will fit without issue most times, but if the nut isn't wrecked I'd leave it. An OFR nut is slightly different if memory serves and people often leave the original nut as make mods.
            R3 should be the nut.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Mudlark, thanks for the info. I'm working to get along with the current tremolo, but I'm saving my shekels for a OFR. I'm a little bummed to hear about the nut--there seems to be a tiny bit of buzz on the open high E string, and I was thinking that a new nut could take care of that.

Does anyone have an experience with the Original Floyd Rose "Tremolo Arm Push-In Style"?

https://floydrose.com/collections/up...nt=29837630226

I have been jamming in a bit of foam earplug under my current arm to reduce wiggle and keep it in place, but it isn't quite perfect (and falls out periodically).

Comment

Working...
              X