Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90’s MIJ Kelly Std. Professional w/ a plugged Floydhole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 90’s MIJ Kelly Std. Professional w/ a plugged Floydhole

    First post. So I’ve had this MIJ Kelly Std. Professional that I bought used a while back. I have a couple of questions about it.

    1. Serial number J000919 indicates 1990? I thought these were made 1993-95 only.

    2. The plugged Floydhole. What’s going on here? Factory job? Looks like a dark wood from the underside. Paint looks perfectly matched. Top mounted bridge looks the same as the cheapest generic bridge from Allparts. I’ll be replacing that with something else.

    Haven’t played it lately but I recall the bridge pickup sounding unusually good. I would like to replace the bridge and get it playing again.
















    Last edited by CaptainCaveman; 07-22-2019, 09:07 PM.

  • #2
    Hey
    you just buy this? Seen it for sale on Reverb. Filled in floyd for fixed bridge

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah I decided not to sell it until I at least replace the bridge. After that, I’ll play it for a bit and see how I like it. Would like to learn a little more about it in the meantime. The plugged trem hole looks too good to be a diy job. And the serial number, from what I’ve seen online, doesnt seem to match the production years for this model.
      Last edited by CaptainCaveman; 07-22-2019, 09:10 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Are you able to share larger photos? It's difficult to diagnose anything with the existing small pics in your first post.

        Comment


        • #5
          I’ve posted them full size, maybe you can click to enlarge if they still appear as thumbnails?










          Last edited by CaptainCaveman; 07-22-2019, 09:04 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm, they still show up as thumbnails. Even when I right-click each photo and choose "View Image", it display the thumbnail.

            Maybe it's your image host. Perhaps you're copying the thumbnail link from it, instead of the link that corresponds to the full-sized photo.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              Hmm, they still show up as thumbnails. Even when I right-click each photo and choose "View Image", it display the thumbnail.

              Maybe it's your image host. Perhaps you're copying the thumbnail link from it, instead of the link that corresponds to the full-sized photo.
              Ok I’ve edited the photos so hopefully you can click to enlarge them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Unfortunately only the first photo in your second set of photos was clickable.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Those numbers weren't date coded. They were short lived around '95-6 and often came on guitars with no neck plate.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                    Those numbers weren't date coded. They were short lived around '95-6 and often came on guitars with no neck plate.
                    Good to know, thanks. My Kelly has no neck place.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      Unfortunately only the first photo in your second set of photos was clickable.
                      Ugh. I’ve edited the 2nd set of pics again, clicking each one to enlarge them. It’s working at the moment.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK, all your photos enlarge properly now. Thanks.

                        I admit that plug looks quite well done.

                        Is the plug permanently affixed to the body? Can it be removed?

                        If it were me, part of me would want to remove it and see if everything is "intact" underneath, as it was prior to modification, with the holes for the trem posts unmolested. In this case, you might be able to reinstall all the JT580LP bridge hardware and return the guitar to stock configuration.

                        However, if the plug is permanent, perhaps the simpler solution is to either find new correct saddles for your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings and install them on your existing fixed bridge, or find another compatible fixed bridge that won't require any drilling of new mounting holes, or find a new bridge entirely that you like and are competent to install yourself (drilling likely required).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          OK, all your photos enlarge properly now. Thanks.

                          I admit that plug looks quite well done.

                          Is the plug permanently affixed to the body? Can it be removed?

                          If it were me, part of me would want to remove it and see if everything is "intact" underneath, as it was prior to modification, with the holes for the trem posts unmolested. In this case, you might be able to reinstall all the JT580LP bridge hardware and return the guitar to stock configuration.

                          However, if the plug is permanent, perhaps the simpler solution is to either find new correct saddles for your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings and install them on your existing fixed bridge, or find another compatible fixed bridge that won't require any drilling of new mounting holes, or find a new bridge entirely that you like and are competent to install yourself (drilling likely required).
                          I’m not sure if the plug is removable, I don’t recall seeing any glue residue. I’ll have to take a closer look. I’m not a Floyd fan (Steel The Light rocks though), so restoring this to stock config. wouldn’t really appeal to me and probably would not be cost effective. In its current condition, I haven’t been able to get even $200 for it. With the original case. I’ve ordered a cheap top mount bridge for it. It’s coming from China, so I’ll be looking forward to that in a few months. I’ll at least get it playing again. I’ll leave the trem restoration to the next owner.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X