Ordered a used SL4X in Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered a used SL4X in Orange

So, I'm going to admit that I bought this more as a fanboy remembering the Jeff Beck Soloist. (Fan boy of the guitar, not so much Jeff Beck, lol, it's about the guitar damn it )

So this one was used and below 400 so it fell well with in my comfort zone to buy.

So I'm guessing this is Basswood? The site now says Poplar, but I'd expect that to be just for the 2019 models

Pickup listed as Duncan Designed™ HR-101 Hot Rails, I'm not familiar with hot rails, in fact I don't own any other SSS guitars, so, how decent are these? What HB do they sound like?

How cheap are the pots? are they at least full sized Alphas?
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Nice! I kinda want a blue one. I've heard the Duncan Designed Hot Rails are supposed to be even hotter than the regular Hot Rails which are pretty warm and beefy sounding, not much treble. Iron Maiden seems to use the Hot Rails on some of their SSS guitars.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Nice! I kinda want a blue one. I've heard the Duncan Designed Hot Rails are supposed to be even hotter than the regular Hot Rails which are pretty warm and beefy sounding, not much treble. Iron Maiden seems to use the Hot Rails on some of their SSS guitars.
      Very cool, yeah I was going to buy one in pink when they first came out, but then the MK-600 and the Edwards, and the V400FM happen so... but this was under 400 with shipping so, worth a go. either way it will certainly force me to play with a tone I'm not familiar with
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I tried one out locally, daphne blue. It had been sitting around for a while, and had really sharp fret ends. Nothing fatal - forced hot air in the winter, you know? Nothing some filing and smoothing couldn't take care of. It played pretty nice, otherwise. Honestly, I was surprised at how well an Indonesian made guitar felt. It just felt like a Soloist, you know? With a couple of easy hardware swaps, it would make a real nice guitar. And, yeah, I've always dug the original JB guitars. I want one in pink, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Comment

It seems that only the new white one is poplar. Not sure why they changed to that as well as changing the fretboard from rosewood to laurel. I'm thinking of getting the white one. Obviously wouldn't be able to get a used one. Don't know anything about the pots.

Comment

I was traveling this weekend and stopped into a Sam Ash store (Columbus, OH) and they had a used orange one for $399. I picked it up and played it for a bit - played really nice. It was in mint condition and didn't have any fret issues or other flaws that I could find. For the money, it seemed like a pretty good guitar if anyone is looking for one of these.

Comment

The pickups are ok at best. Other than that these play very nicely After adding EMG's Sa to the guitar it sounds as good as it plays. Feels real close to My SD Custom Soloist's.

Comment

Working...
              X