Need help identifying this RR style Jackson guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying this RR style Jackson guitar

I bought this guitar used a couple of years ago on Craigslist. I don’t know much about where or when the original owner got it from but I can’t figure out what model it is:

• 22 frets
    • Volume knob
    • Pickup selector switch
    • No tone knob
    • Routed out Floyd Rose with fastloader saddles
    • Rosewood bolt-on neck with round inlays
    • Bizarre serial number SH213557 (perhaps it’s a store stock number?)
    • No “made in” or “crafted in” origin text on the headstock
    • The output jack is on the bottom “fin” next to the pickup selector (not on the top “fin” next to the strap button)

Easiest way to ID it is to remove the neck. The model will be stamped in both the neck pocket and on the neck heel.

Hold the bridge back with the bar, pop the springs out, un-bolt the neck.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I detached the neck but there’s nothing obvious under there regarding the model (see pics below).

It looks like it’s a variation of the RX10D but the neck doesn’t have the shark fin inlays and the hardware doesn’t have Jackson written on it (neck plate, tuners, etc). Also, the tremolo has fast loader saddles which I don’t think was ever offered as OEM on Jackson guitars. I assume the bridge could have been swapped out.

Comment

That is an oddball for sure. I'm clueless.

12th fret dots spaced that far apart... doesn't that mean Indian-made?

In the Jackson world, I'm not sure I recall ever seeing a serial number on a sticker, let alone that odd format. Do you dare peel up the sticker to see if there is anything engraved underneath on the neck plate itself (as would be expected on a normal neckplate)? Or if you don't want to remove the sticker, can you FEEL anything engraved underneath if you run your fingertip over the sticker?

Comment

The "D" in RX10D was for "diamond" (sharkfin) inlays. There was an RX10 model. Wide 12th fret dot spacing was usually a sign of Indonesia/Korea/Southeast Asia (i.e. anywhere but Japan). The Performer series had those wide dots, but also had "Performer" on the head.

I was never able to keep track of all the variations of the import RRs - there were a shitload of them, more than any other model, except maybe the Dinky if you count the various pickup configs and front vs rear loaded and different bridge types.

The stamp is interesting though! Usually a stamp that detailed was used for USA Customs. Imports almost always had the model number and a year, maybe month/year at most (at least the ones I've seen first-hand, and I've had a shitload of them over the years).
          It looks like it reads
          Number of frets
          Fretboard material
          Thickness at 12th fret
          Thickness at 3rd fret
          Headstock
          B(?)/Thin
          B(?)/Wide
          Date
          Signature

It almost looks like "oil" out by the FB mark? Oiled necks were not common on low-end imports. Satin finish maybe, but not oiled.

The "B" is throwing me off. What would have thin and wide options and start with a B? Bridge? Binding? Wide would be 3-color or 2 color, while thin would be single color?

As well, the amount of extra heel sticking out past the pocket seems a bit excessive, at least compared to my Japanese necks.

Does the logo look/feel uneven? If it's lumpy, it's a decal, and I would assume low-end imports had silkscreened logos and not decals, as the headstock face cap was cheaper to silkscreen en masse.
          Last edited by Newc; 11-26-2018, 08:40 PM.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Imports almost always had the model number and a year, maybe month/year at most (at least the ones I've seen first-hand, and I've had a shitload of them over the years).
            Here is my 2009 KE3 body and 2009 DK2S neck with year/month/day format stamps:

Comment

Very unusual markings.

I could only offer useless theories.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
              X