I Hot-rodded a Jackson JS11 cheapo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hot-rodded a Jackson JS11 cheapo.

Why? Primarily because it's a 7/8 guitar with a 25.5 inch scale and pretty much the narrowest and thinnest neck you can find. I've got stubby digits, and I find this neck suits my ergonomics better than other standard thin neck offerings.

Anyhow, here is what I did:

- stainless steel extra jumbo (.118 x .58) frets

- bone nut

- swapped the terribly cheap and useless stock two post tremolo for a mexican Strat 6 screw tremolo. It's pretty much the only one I could find that would fit because of the narrow string spacing. The stock Jackson tremolo string spacing is 52mm, the Mexican one is just a hair wider. It works, but between the stainless frets and this new tremolo the tone was really pingy on the B and high E strings so I got some graphtech saddles which eliminated that. Additionally, I put some raw vintage strat tremolo springs on it.

I set the tremolo to float so I can raise it an interval, and it works really well unlike the original one.

- MIJ Jackson tuners for the terrible Chinese cheapos it came with

- spraypainted the stock red body with Krylon Fusion satin black. It doesn't fuse as well as I thought it would, and is scraping/rubbing off here and there, though it's kind of a cool look. I will likely have to repaint it once a year.

I kept the stock pickups and electronics, as they are quite useable. I may upgrade them to Ibanez V7 and V8 pickups sometime. I kinda like how those sound, too.

The guitar rips nicely and plays really well.

I did all the mods except for the refret.

Guitar: $170 new
    Refret: $250
    Bone Nut: $90
    Tremolo: $25
    Saddles $50
    Raw Vintage Springs: $30
    Spray paint: $5
    Tuners: $30
    Approximate Total Cost: $650

Because the neck is so unusually small, I consider this to be well worth the money. The frets will last a lifetime and it suits my hands like no other guitar.

Here is an awful, blurry picture:
    Last edited by agtg; 11-23-2018, 11:28 AM.

I'm sure someone here once said "You can't pollish a turd". Actually, I bought a JS1X Minion Bass, because I didn't want to play a 34" scale bass, being my hands are too used to my 24.75" scale 1991 Pro.
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 11-23-2018, 12:16 PM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

$650 should get a guitar that'll last a lifetime, so I say you've suceeded
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
      X