Need help with value on Jackson Fusion EX Professional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with value on Jackson Fusion EX Professional

I came across a Jackson Fusion EX Professional at a local shop today. It needs a bit of TLC, but looks sound. Not a lot of chips or dings in the finish. The five way switch is missing the plastic cap, but I have a spare switch if need be, and the tone knob is pretty hard to turn like something is binding up in the post. If I remember right I have a spare volume pot, but it might be a tone pot.

The neck and head stock on it are in nice shape, and it does come with a hard case. I don't know if it's a Jackson hard case though. I didn't plug it in, but I'm not worried about that end of it as I have plenty of spare parts lying around to make it work. The pick guard has a lot of scratches and swirls, so I would be planning on replacing that too.

It's the same guitar as the one in the below link and picture.

https://reverb.com/item/1435566-jack...nal-1995-white

The shop has it marked for sale at $299.00, and said they'd take $275.00 out the door for it. I thought it was a little steep for it, but I haven't been in the guitar market in a while. I was looking for $200.00 to no more than $250.00 out the door for it. Am I just being a total cheapskate? I don't need another guitar, but I don't like passing up a good deal either. One thing I'll add is that it's pretty damn rare to see a used Jackson or Charvel guitar around here.

So, what's the consensus? Am I being a cheapskate for not running out the door with it for $275.00? If I fix it up what's real world value on it? I'm thinking 400 bucks tops, but I've been out of the value game for a while.

Originally posted by Razor View Post
    I came across a Jackson Fusion EX Professional at a local shop today. It needs a bit of TLC, but looks sound. Not a lot of chips or dings in the finish. The five way switch is missing the plastic cap, but I have a spare switch if need be, and the tone knob is pretty hard to turn like something is binding up in the post. If I remember right I have a spare volume pot, but it might be a tone pot.

The neck and head stock on it are in nice shape, and it does come with a hard case. I don't know if it's a Jackson hard case though. I didn't plug it in, but I'm not worried about that end of it as I have plenty of spare parts lying around to make it work. The pick guard has a lot of scratches and swirls, so I would be planning on replacing that too.

It's the same guitar as the one in the below link and picture.

https://reverb.com/item/1435566-jack...nal-1995-white

The shop has it marked for sale at $299.00, and said they'd take $275.00 out the door for it. I thought it was a little steep for it, but I haven't been in the guitar market in a while. I was looking for $200.00 to no more than $250.00 out the door for it. Am I just being a total cheapskate? I don't need another guitar, but I don't like passing up a good deal either. One thing I'll add is that it's pretty damn rare to see a used Jackson or Charvel guitar around here.

So, what's the consensus? Am I being a cheapskate for not running out the door with it for $275.00? If I fix it up what's real world value on it? I'm thinking 400 bucks tops, but I've been out of the value game for a while.
    I always use recently sold eBay auctions as a good measure of market value...one exactly like this one sold for $240 or so shipped. I wouldn’t pay more than $250 for it. I doubt the shop would lose a sale over $29 though, so if you dig it make an offer and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Customguitars87 View Post
      I always use recently sold eBay auctions as a good measure of market value...one exactly like this one sold for $240 or so shipped. I wouldn’t pay more than $250 for it. I doubt the shop would lose a sale over $29 though, so if you dig it make an offer and enjoy!
      Thanks. I actually remember seeing that one come up for auction. Absolutely a good baseline for comparison. I'm glad my gut feeling of too high was right. I'm not even a fan of HSS guitars, but I hate passing up a good deal though. Now if it would have had an ebony board with MOP sharkies and a MOP head stock logo it would have came home with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
        Thanks. I actually remember seeing that one come up for auction. Absolutely a good baseline for comparison. I'm glad my gut feeling of too high was right. I'm not even a fan of HSS guitars, but I hate passing up a good deal though. Now if it would have had an ebony board with MOP sharkies and a MOP head stock logo it would have came home with me.
        Haha, I see what you did there . $275 isn't a bad price or anything if they've recently sold around $250.

There's a Soloist Professional Pro exactly like mine (but red) that just popped up on Reverb and I was tempted but it's double what I paid for mine so I'm holding off.

Comment

I think you already know the answer. Offer $200. If the seller accepts, great, you scored. If not, you already admitted you don't need another guitar. I am in the exact same boat as you these days and can afford to pass up lukewarm deals because I now have a good arsenal and can be more selective about what I add to it.

Comment

$200 is a fair price

Comment

If you get it to it's full potential, then $400 with case isn't unreasonable. Though, there are so many great guitars available for $400 or less in many markets that selling can be a slow if not impossible event.

In a perfect world that guitar in great shape should be worth $500, easy IMO, but you'd be plenty lucky getting it today.
              I'll bet that's a well made solid base to upgrade to a pro quality player, so $500 or less doesn't sound like a bad deal in the end.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
              X