Need some help identifying a jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help identifying a jackson

I'm looking into a trade for a jackson. I cant seem to figure the price to figure if it's an even trade I have a dean vmnt dave mustain guitar with set neck and active seymour duncan pick ups.

http://www.deanguitars.com/discontin...c=819998025489

I have a guy who is willing to trade me a jackson but based on the info I'm not sure the value.

https://capecod.craigslist.org/msg/6547642432.html

His has no case but has emg pick ups just not sure if it's a fair trade.. any help would be great

I can't comment on the value of any Dean, but this '98' is actually a Japanese made 2006-7 DKMG. Alder body, 81/85's from factory. Without a case they sold in the $600+ range back then, new. The price went up depending on the colour/graphic.

You can pick a used DKMG up without a case for $300ish quite easily on Craigslist. Craigslist is a goldmine if you're patient. I've seen these and similar models for $200ish.

As for quality, you need to judge guitars individually, but I have the 2011 DKMGT (string thru body TOM bridge) and it truly is all the guitar my USA's are in the important areas. The DKMG has the JT580LP tremolo, which in some people's minds will hold it back from being able to compete with a USA model with a real Floyd.

Bottom line: The DKMG has the potential to be a solid, pro quality guitar at the least in my opinion.

In 2011, the last year for Japanese Jacksons and the DKMG(T), a black DKMG with hard molded Jackson case sold in the USA and Canada for about $8-850...MSRP was $1200ish.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

You really need to pay attention to the pic of the headstock. You can see the truss rod (since the truss rod cover is missing). Looks to my eyes like that truss rod is cranked way out, as in the reason that there is not a truss rod cover is due to the truss rod having been adjusted so much. That could be an indication of issues with the instrument.

Comment

yeah, it looks like that truss rod has no tension on it at all. Unless someone added some shims or put a longer nut on it. You should ask him about that. Maybe he had it cranked out like that waiting for it to bow a bit and then tighten it to adjustment. People have all sorts of ways of adjusting necks.

Comment

looks to me he left the socket of the wrench in there. Also this is said on the post "I have truss cover, took pictures while i was adjusting it."

Comment

Strange, why would someone decide to stop adjusting a truss rod to take pictures of the instrument? I suppose it could happen, seems a little unusual. Since this is a Craigslist post, guess it is pretty simple: if the tool is still attached when you get to look at the guitar ask him to remove it. If he cannot...

Comment

Working...
            X